Chapter 35

Kamari Thompson

How do you tell the love of your life that you're expecting a baby?

"...baby, you're not even listening." Laila whines.

"I'm sorry, I'm just thinking."

"About what?" She says sparing me with her gaze.

Sometimes it's like she can see right through me and into me deeper than I know.

"I might possibly be a father." I rush out and squeeze my eyes shut.

Silence

More silence

I risk taking a look at her.

"So you found the pregnancy tests." She says standing up and grabbing something from her bag.

What?!

She comes back with a sonogram.

"I found out last month. I was too scared to tell you. Well, not scared but worried, we haven't been together that long and I don't want you to feel like I'm-"

"No, I'm happy, elated, overjoyed. You'll be an amazing mother." I say stopping her mid rant.

"Oh thank god." She sobs.

"What are you crying for?" I say consoling her.

"I'm happy, we'll be an adorable little family."

•••

"Yo, when this DNA test coming?" I ask as soon as Tiffany opens the door.

"You don't get to just walk up in my shit like that." She says slamming the door behind me.

"Why not? I paid for the bitch." I say slamming down on the couch.

"It don't matter, you don't live in it."

"Fuck all that shit you saying. DNA?"

"It'll take a week or two after you give the DNA." She says sitting down on the couch.

She starts gliding her hand up my leg.

"Stop." I say taking her hand off my leg.

"When you coming back home?" She asks trying to get into my lap.

I shove her off me. She lands on her ass.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? I'm carrying your children, you bitch ass nigga!"

Children?!

"Children?!"

"Yeah, you think my stomach is this big from one?" She says as I help her up.

She was big as hell. She barely fit in my lap. But I thought it was because of how far along she is.

"So, twins?"

"Yeah." She says smiling and rubbing her stomach.

How the hell am I going to tell Laila?

•••

"Pops, where's Ma?" I ask dapping him up and looking around the kitchen.

"You know she at work, boy."

"That explains the no answer. I needa talk to her about something."

"What yo' big headed ass got to say to my wife?" He asks.

"I fucked up, Pops." I say plopping down on the couch.

"I told you about cleaning up after yourself, boy. Where's the body?"

"Pops, no, it's not that. You know I wouldn't talk to mom about no shit like that."

"Women problems."

"Baby problems." I stinging up and pacing back and forth.

"I told you wrap yo shit up. Nah, this generation wanna be hitting with no protection. Now yo ass caught up."

"You right. I'm happy about being a father it's just Laila and Tiffany pregnant. Tiffany with twins."

"Damn!"

"I know. I don't know how imma tell Laila."

"Well, did you fuck around on Laila?"

"What?" I ask looking down at my father.

Shiny baldheaded ass

"Did you fuck Tiffany while you were with Laila?"

"No, it was before Laila."

"At least you have that going for you. The best you can do is hope she'll accept it. You can't take it back and it wasn't like you cheated. Congratulations, son. Fatherhood is a gift...and a curse." He says patting my back and going upstairs.

Useless ass nigga

My mother needa get home. Now

Nathan Wright

"They're looking for me. I have to go." I say to my long term girlfriend.

"Then I'll go with you." She says kneeling on the bed.

"No, I won't have you running away and always looking over your shoulder that's no way to live."

"It doesn't matter as long as we are together."

"No." I say standing up and pulling up my pants.

"Nate, please! You're only in this situation because of me." She says rubbing my back.

"And I would do it again." I say taking her hand and leading her to the bathroom.

"Take a shower and relax. I love you." I kiss her one last time.

•••

I pull my hood over my head and quicken my pace as I walk back to my car. I start it up and turn on the radio, low.

I didn't mean to kill him. It was an accident.

Wee-woo

Wee-woo

Shit!

I take a deep breath and pull over.

Everything's going to fine.

"Hello, officer!" I smile as I roll down my window.

"Do you know why I pulled you over, sir." She asks flashing her light in the car.

"No, I don't."

My heart is beating out of my chest.

"You were speeding. License and registration."

I reach over and give her them.

"I'm sorry, I was thinking of my fiancée, she's in labor and I didn't realize just how fast..."

"Sir, I didn't ask." She walks away and back to her car.

It's then that I realize if she runs my name through the database then I'll be caught.

I press down on the gas.