Chapter 39

Noah Anderson
9:47 am
1 week later

"Mom, are you still coming?" I ask my mother.

She just lays there looking at the wall.

This is how she's been for about 2 weeks now. I don't what's going on but if she doesn't start talking we might have to get her some help.

I stand in the doorway waiting for her answer but get none. I slowly close her door and walk away. Ashley walks up behind me.

"I'm coming to your graduation. Thats all that matters." She says rubbing my shoulders.

"I think she needs help." I say grabbing her hand and squeezing it.

"I know but today isn't about her. Today is about you." She says squeezing my hand back.

•••

A/N I don't really feel like typing out the whole graduation ceremony so this is after.

"Charlotte, I'm glad you came." I say as I hug her.

"I'm glad I came. I know we just recently met but I'm proud of you." She says giving me a gift.

"You didn't have to." I say accepting her gift.

"No, I did. You've really helped me out." She says smiling at me.

"There you are!" Aaliyah says rubbing my back.

"Here I am." I say turning around and hugging her.

"Congratulations, baby!" She exclaims and kisses me.

"This is Charlotte." I introduce after we're finished kissing.

"Hi, I'm Aaliyah, Noah's girlfriend, nice to meet you." She says smiling, showing those gorgeous dimples.

"Nice to meet you. I have to leave but congratulations." Charlotte says walking away while Ashley walks up.

Aaliyah and her squeal at each other and basically attack each other affectionally. I just stand and watch.

"Where are your parents?" Ashley asks as Aaliyah leads her away.

I follow behind.

After Ashley meets her parents we meet up with our friends and go out to eat.

"How y'all feel now that we're officially out of high school?" Destiny asks.

"Lighter."

"Freer."

"Less burdened."

"Happy."

•••

"Mom?" I ask slowly pushing the door open.

I look at her bed and she isn't in it but the house is silent. I walk in further and into her bathroom still no sign of her. I walk back to my room to grab my duffel bag. Aaliyah and I are getting a hotel tonight.

•••

"Are you excited about finally graduating, I know I am..."

Where could my mom have gone?

Is she alright?

Obviously, not she's staring into space and not talking, eating or bathing.

"Noah, what's wrong, you haven't been your self tonight?" Aaliyah says, concern obvious in her tone. She comes and sits on the bed next to me and rubs my back.