Chapter 10

Noah Anderson
12:15 pm

"Where's Jamal?" Kat asks. She's on the cheerleading team like the rest of the girls here.

"I ain't hear from him since Friday. I called him and he ain't answer. I called this lejing to ask why he wasn't in practice and his mom picked up the phone crying saying he was in the hospital and his jaw was wired shut." Drew says.

"What happened?" Aaliyah asks, concerned.

"They saying he got jumped the night of that kickback on Friday."

"Damnnnn, I can't believe it, man." Terrence says.

"Me either." Destiny and Aaliyah say at the same time.

"Let's go visit him." Amanda says at the end of the table.

"Bitch, he don't even know you and talking about some visit." Destiny says.

"She the wrong person to go and visit him but she is right. We should." Tiffany says.

After school we all go to visit him with cards, and flowers. We can't all go in at once so we go in groups. Once it's Destiny, Aaliyah and my turn we pick our gifts and walk to his room.

When Aaliyah walks into the room his heart monitor picks up.

I know she's gorgeous but he looks like he's hyperventilating

Nurses start rushing in and kicking us out. We leave our gifts but Aaliyah keeps the chocolate. Why she bright chocolate for a man who's gonna be drinking out a straw a while is beyond me.

"Why'd you buy that boy chocolates? You petty." Destiny says laughing. And Aaliyah joins in. I'm genuinely lost here.

"What's going on?" I ask pressing the down button for the elevator.

"Nothing." Aaliyah says offering me some chocolate.

"So, what was that back there?" I ask once Aaliyah and I get back to mine.

"What?" She asks eating a chocolate and smiling. The dimples on her left and right cheek pop out.

"The thing about Jamal."

"Ohhh, that. I couldn't tell you then but he manhandled me and called me a slut and I'm not saying I know the people who did that to him but he got what was coming for him." She says laughing.

"When did he do this?" I ask laying down.

"At the kickback last Friday."

"Why didn't you tell me?!" I ask,alarmed.

"It wasn't important, especially because I knew my brother would handle it." She says twirling around in my desk chair.

"I would have liked to know. Honesty, remember?" I say looking at now that's she's stopped playing.

"I am honest, you didn't ask."

"You didn't tell me you went to a party."

"You're not my boyfriend, Noah. I do not have to tell you things like that."

"I would like to be."

"Noah, I told you. I don't want to be with anyone, I just want to be by myself. I'm not ready for anything." She says looking softly at me.

"Okay." I whisper, turning my head.

It was awkward after that and she then she left.

2 months later

After our little disagreement Liyah and I's friendship kind of fizzled out. It's the holidays now. More specifically, thanksgiving which means my my brother and sister are here.

"Noah, get down here!" My mother yells. My mom and dad both take the holidays off no matter what.

"Coming!"

I walk into the dining room and my mother and father are on both ends of the table. My sister closest to my father and my brother closer to my mother. And me I'll be in the middle.

We said grace and went around about what we were thankful for and then we ate.

"You met anyone, yet?" My mother asks, Ashley, my sister.

"Yes, actually, he'll come for Christmas."

"Ohhh, what's he like?" My mother says intrigued.

"He's nice, kind, funny and charming?" She says all excited.

"How about you, Logan?" My mother asks.

"No, I'm just enjoying my freedom..."

I finish eating and push away from the table.

"What about you, Noah?" Ashley asks me.

At first I'm shocked, the conversation never steers to me. They usually never notice when I leave the table.

"Nope, nobody." I say, trying to get away.

"No, you had someone over here a couple of months away. What's her name?" My mother says snapping her fingers and looking up at the ceiling.

"Aaliyah." I whisper.

"What ever happened to her?" She asks looking wide eyed at me.

"I remember you telling me about her, Sarah." My father finally speaks.

"Yes, she was such a lovey girl. What happened?" And now they're all looking at me, staring at me, waiting for me to talk.

"She was just a classmate, nothing really." I say waving them away, I don't need them pestering me.

"Oh, and she cut his hair. He looked nice!" My mother says cheerfully.

"Really?!" My sister asks, excited.

"I would've loved to see it." My brother says laughing.

"I have a picture."

They all look at it and find that they liked it better than my regular hairstyle.

"Call her." Ashley says.

"No, she's probably with her family." I say worried. We haven't talked in months.

"He's right." My mother says and I sigh.

After the unusual dinner, I think that maybe I should give her a call. It's 11 and I know she's awake. Before I could think any harder about it, I hit the call button. She picks up on the 3rd ring.

"Long time no hear. Happy thanksgiving." She says into the phone.

"H-hi, happy thanksgiving." I practically yell into the phone.

"How was your dinner?" She asks and I hear shuffling.

"It went well. Speaking of dinner, my family wanted me to call you."

"Why?" She says laughing into the phone.

"Because my mom bring you up and how you gave me a shape up and trim." I say, happy to be speaking to her.

"Sarah, I love that lady. So that means your brother and sister were there. And you were acknowledged at the table. I'm happy for you."

After an awhile it's silent.

"I missed you." We say in unison.

"Let's agree to never stop talking to each other, especially over something so dumb." She says sighing into the phone.

"It wasn't dumb. You always tell me to be honest and say how I'm feeling."

"I just told you in the nicest way possible that I didn't want a relationship. You took it badly. I can't control your reactions or feelings."

"That's not why I'm mad. I'm angry with you for letting our friendship out for shit that we could get over. But I guess it gave me time to get over you." I lie, how could I ever get over her.

"I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have made it awkward. It's just, I couldn't get over what you said to me. But now we'll never not speak to each other."