Chapter 33

Aaliyah Thompson
8:55 pm

"So now you wanna see me. Ain't yo ass wanted but the police?" I ask standing at my door.

"Girl, don't be like that. I just needed to get away. Away from my mother. Away from...everything." Destiny sighs out.

"But you couldn't at least answer my calls. I was worried and then I went to see your mother and she told me the police were looking for you. What is that even about?" I ask closing the door behind her.

"She wanted to accuse me of a dirty cum filled condom to found her room. And then she tried to beat me. I defended myself. I regret nothing."

"Okay, forget that. Where have you been? Who have you been with? I went to go see Drew and he said yall were messing around and then yall stopped. So if not him then, who?" I ask sitting down on the couch.

"We'll get to eventually. Let me tell you about my time away..."

•••

"You ready to be a father?" I ask rubbing his back.

"I don't even know if that's my baby. We haven't been together in months." Kamari exclaims.

"Like that means anything. You still had sex with Traci and I don't think I need to have the birds and the bees talk with-"

"I know! It's just how will I tell Laila?! How is she going to take this?! She didn't sign up for this!"

"Calm down. Sit." I say patting the seat next to me.

He slowly sits and continues to shaking his leg.

"She'll understand. This baby- if there is one- was before her time. She didn't even know about it. I'd think she'd understand." I say stilling his leg.

"You're right. Laila's understanding. She the nicest, sweetest woman I've ever dated. She gets me. She encourages me. She completes me."

"Awwww! That's so sweet! You soft as fuck right now." I say pushing him.

"I know...I don't know how imma tell her, man. She gon' be so disappointed."

"Relax, like you said, it might not be yours. You can do a DNA test."

"Yeah, imma call her right now."

•••

"Your mother don't have anything to say about this?" I question Noah.

"She hasn't been home much. I haven't even seen my father since the last time he was here which was weeks ago."

"Well, she gotta go. Every time, we're together she interrupts or calls for you. You're not her boyfriend."

"I know but she's been through something traumatic-"

"She needa call her own damn boyfriend!"

"Aaliyah, they broke up, you know that. She has nowhere to go. No safe place anyway."

"She had money. She better use it."

"Aaliyah-"

"Noah, stop taking up do her like she's your girlfriend! Can you just admit she's being weird?! She has options!"

"You're right-"

Malinda walks into the room and starts packing her things.

"I'm just going to go."

"No, Malinda don't go." Noah stops her.

"Go, go on. Bye! Let me help you." I say grabbing her clothes off the floor and into her bag.