Chapter 7

Aaliyah Thompson
9:36 pm

"I-"

"Aaliyah!" Destiny says busting into my room.

"I'll call you back." I rush out to Noah and then hang up.

He's just a friend and I don't need people thinking otherwise.

"Who you rushing to get off the phone with?" Destiny asks, dropping her bag and going into my bathroom.

"None of your business."

"Let me find out you gotta a sneaky link!" She says peaking her head out the bathroom to look at me.

I get the bed and go the kitchen and see my mother sitting in the island.

"Mommy!" I yell hugging her from the back.

"Hey, baby." She says hugging me back.

"I missed you." I say kissing her all over her face.

"Girl you seen me this morning." She says pushing off the island.

"That was hours ago." I say going into the fridge.

"Girl, you obsessed with me."

"And is." I say gulping down the water.

"Thirsty ass!" Destiny says running down the stairs.

"Ahht, watch your mouth, Destiny." My mom scolds.

"Sorry, Mrs.Thompson, I didn't see you. How was your day?" Destiny asks her, tryna sweet talk.

"It was good and you?"

"Great! I'm spending the night tonight. You off work?" Destiny says snagging a juicebox out the fridge.

"Yeah, y'all wanna do movie night?" She asks picking up her phone.

"Yeah!" I yell.

"How's Kamari been?" Mom asks.

"Good, why?"

"He hasn't called or came to see me in 2 days. You know I worry."

Kamari isn't mom's biological son but she takes care of him all the same. She's raised him and loved him. His mother gave him up when he was 2. You see, my dad met my mom when Kamari was 3 and they had me 4. So Kamari was mom's first kid and the only mom Kamari's known.

"I'm sure he'l-"

"Hey, my baby!" My mom yells into FaceTime walking away from the kitchen.

"Your mom is obsessed with her kids." Destiny says watching her walk away.

"I know, I be telling her that."

***

I find Noah in the library, grading papers.

"Noah, I'm sorry for not calling you back yesterday- what's wrong?" I ask putting my purse down on the table next to his papers.

"Nothing." He says grading away.

"No, something is wrong, tell me?" I ask grabbing his chin and looking into his eyes.

"I just had a bad night." He says trying to look down.

"If you want to talk about it just know you can talk to me." I say releasing his chin.

"Okay." He nearly whispers out.

"Alright, well what'd you do yesterday?" I ask teaching in my purse to gloss my lips.

"Y-yes I went to work and-"

"Aaliyah, there you are!" Kat yells running into the library.

"Shh!" Mrs.Falcon says.

"What is it?" I ask her.

"Destiny is fighting!" She whisper yells.

I hop up run out the library and hear commotion in the cafeteria. I push through the crowd and see Destiny dogging the shit outta someone.

"Alright, everybody get back yall too close!" I yell motioning the people back. They start stepping back.

"If anybody step in they getting they ass beat!" I yell walking back and forth in front of the crowd.

After a few minutes of pounding, I grab Destiny up and take from the cafeteria. I let her catch her breath.

"What happened?" I ask her once she catches her breath.

"That's bitch was talking shit about me. I told her stop talking about me and when she didn't I popped her in her mouth. Then we started fighting."

"Destiny, that was not a fighting you was stomping her ass out!" I laugh. And she laughs too.

"I-"

"'Liyah, I got your purse." Noah says running into the hallway.

"Thank you, Noah." I say grabbing my bag.

"Ohhhh, who's this?!" Destiny asks, moving around me to look Noah up and down.

"Hey, Destiny!" He says smiling and blushing.

"Girl, I done already told you this is Noah, Noah Anderson. We've been going to school with him for 10 years now." I say staring at her.

"Ohhh, yeahhhh. What's up-"

"Ms.Hampton, come with me." One of the security guards says.

"What I do?" Destiny asks.

"The principal wants to see you. Now let's go."

***

After I beat Noah's ass in 2K we chilled on his bed watching Naruto Shippuden.

"Where's your parents?" I ask Noah turning over in the bed.

"Working." He says turning over on his side.

"Do you ever get lonely?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you're in the house by yourself and you don't seem to go out which is fine but that seems like you're isolating yourself. So I ask are you lonely?"

"No, I've always been alone. My older brother and sister were closer to each than me. My parents only had time for them and work. So I've always been alone."

"Sounds like you feel abandoned."

"Not abandoned, ignored." He says staring into my eyes.

"Have you ever talked to them about it?"

"I never really thought about that."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't think it's on purpose and I wouldn't know how to phrase it."

"In other words, you don't like confrontation."

"Yeah."

After that we went back to watching Naruto. I guess we must've fell asleep because next thing I knew my phone is ringing.

"Hello?" I say groggily into the phone.

"Where yo ass at little girl?!" My mom yells into the phone.

Oh shit!

"I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you I'm at Destiny's." I don't usually like to lie but gotta save my ass here. And I don't want to be lectured.

"You didn't answer the first 2 times I called, little girl! Get yo ass home right now. It's 12 o'clock and you better be here by 12:15!" And she hangs up.

I get out the bed and stretch. I look back at Noah. He sleeps soundly. His brown hair covering his eyes. I would hate to wake him up. I walk out the front door and text him that I went home.