Prologue

YN

They were fighting again. I wouldn't be sure if the neighbor a mile down the road could hear them. I guess it was a good thing we lived out in the country of California. Is it nice living in a big house and not having to worry about money? Sure. But it was only nice when it was peaceful. It didn't matter where you were in the house, their yelling echoed off every surface. He cheated again and she drinks too much.

It wasn't the first time and wouldn't be the last time our father cheated on our mother. And it's not like she's an alcoholic or something but she does like her wine. Our dad is a big time business man or mother is an even bigger business woman. Dad has fucked every secretary he's had. He fucks them for a while then fires them and gets a new one. And she's always younger than the last.

I got off my bed, walked over to my door, and opened it. Their yelling got louder the moment I stepped into the hall. I walked to the landing and looked over the railing. Down the hall on the other side I hear my sister's door open and her footsteps padding closer to me. "So, who do you want to stay with, mom or dad?" I asked.

Me and Sapphire were very different. Where I liked horror movies she liked stuff like Marvel and Star Wars. She was more shy than I was. I would gladly tell someone off. My temper was a little worse than hers. She reads comics and I read dark romance or horror books. We both liked fantasy, just different kinds of fantasy. My getaway was reading and music. We were both nerdy just in different areas. Our styles were completely opposite too. We were close but not like best friends, we fight like siblings normally do. But we also took care of each other.

"Probably mom. Dad doesn't seem to notice we even exist," she said. That was true. Our dad usually just gave us what we wanted so he didn't have to actually bond with us. Our dad was a businessman, and owned his own business. But our mom was an even bigger business woman. She made more money than him, her business was bigger than his. You would think they would have a business together but they were competitive. Our father hated that she was more successful. I don't even know why they ever got married.

•••••••••••

"Why did we have to move to your old home town?" I asked. Our parents were getting divorced, not really a surprise. And of course both me and Sapp wanted to go with mom. She didn't really pay much attention to us either but at least she knew we liked different things. "Because, yn, I think it'll be better for you and your sister to go to a regular school instead of a private school. You can make friends," she said.

Woodboro, California was about five hours away from where we used to live. Mom had graduated from Woodsboro High School in 1972, met our dad in college in 1974 and then got married in 1977. I was born a year later and Sapp was born ten months after me. We moved here before the new school year and were already registered at the high school. "Please just give it a chance. I need to go so I don't miss my plane." With that she was walking out of the house and getting in the taxi to take her to the airport.