FIFTY-THREE.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE:
Blessing.
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

                Aki sat on the stairs outside of the Double A Headquarters. She had Chuuya's jacket draped over her shoulders as she sat there, staring straight ahead. Everything that had happened had caused a big commotion. Civilians were gathered around, trying to get a good look at the building struggling to stand, but they were blocked off by the hoard of Port Mafia BMW's, along with the members keeping them in check. Smoke filled the air, pouring from the building, crinkling at Aki's nose as she sat there. Chuuya was behind her, speaking with Hirotsu who was telling him some of the assassin's had managed to escape and that there were Executives unaccounted for amongst the dead, which meant that some of them had also escaped.

                 Chuuya was assuring them that it was quite alright, that if any of them showed up, they'd handle it. Gin and Akutagawa came down the stairs beside her. The dark-haired man with the frosted tips gave her foot a nudge with his, making her glance upwards, "Good work today." He told her, much to her surprise. She even had to look to Gin to see if she had heard him properly. Akutagawa had been a man of very little words—sure, he would sit in Aki's presence, but it was incredibly rare he ever spoke a word to her.

                     Gin gave her brothers shoulder a pat, "And what else?" She urged and suddenly, it all became clear, making Aki smile to herself. Gin was forcing her elder brother to compliment her—clearly against his own will and for Gin's own satisfaction.

                    He sent his sister a glare before clearing his throat, sticking his nose in the air, "And you showed exactly what it is to be a Port Mafia member," Aki rose her brows in amusement, a grin hinting at her lips. Akutagawa straightened himself out. "That is all." With a dramatic flick of his jacket, he headed down the stairs, moving at a quick pace to speak with some of the Port Mafia guards.

                     Gin chuckled to herself, sitting down beside Aki, pulling the mask down on her face, "That was cruel, Gin." Aki playfully scolded, nudging her shoulder against the woman's.

                       Gin shrugged, "He's my brother, teasing him is what I'm good at." She said, just as Tachihara and Higuchi approached—well, more like pounced, because within a second both of them were on Aki's back like baby monkeys.

                      "I am so proud of you!" Higuchi exclaimed, her arms wrapped around Aki's neck as she preached like a proud mother. Her body then stilled, her eyes widening. "Aki! Where is your long beautiful hair?" She demanded, her voice rising in pitch the moment she realised Aki's back wasn't draped in her usual long cascades.

                       Tachihara nudged Higuchi, sending her a look, "Not that it doesn't look great on you! We're just so used to your long hair!" He tried to recover, his arms also draped over Aki's shoulder as she stifled a laugh.

                      "It looks bad, I know," She agreed, reaching up to touch at the short, scraggly strands, a fond smile on her face. "Though, I've got to admit, it feels pretty liberating." She admitted, rubbing the roughly cut ends with her fingers. During her career as an assassin, she had relied on her beauty and used it as a weapon. At the Port Mafia, she might have to do that too—but it would be on her own terms. Cutting her hair felt like an appropriate form of rebellion.

                       Gin gave her a nudge, "Well, it'll look amazing on you once it's freshened up." She assured her, offering a smile before a group of people were leaving the gap where the front door to the building had been. Aki had heard them coming—a hundred little feet patting on the ground towards them.