♡Chapter 21

She made a promise.

She promised a life.

She will follow through on that by any means necessary.

A girl was in danger. She was in danger once. Twice. Her whole life.

𝙱𝚞𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚌𝚞𝚙 𝚄.1-02
𝙼𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚏𝚒𝚕𝚎 998357716
𝙰𝚐𝚎: 16
𝙼𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝙽𝚊𝚖𝚎: 𝚄𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚍 #605
𝚂𝚞𝚋𝚌𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚐𝚘𝚛𝚢: 𝙱𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚑𝚍𝚊𝚢

She was strapped to a table, her back facing the ceiling. She fought the urge to yell in pain as an incision was made along her spine. Warnings blared in her head. There was something invading her spinal cord.

No shit. Rolling her eyes would take up too much energy she needed to keep focused on not passing out.

"Alright, Buttercup, now we're just going to go in and—"

"I get it." She kept a level glare at the floor. No emotion. Emotion meant weakness. Weakness meant termination.

The scientist sighed. "You really ought to be more careful. You are an amazing work of technological advancements."

"I get it." She said again. It wasn't my fault. It wasn't. The guy who went in a few years back to work on her spinal cord accidentally broke a nerve that wasn't caught until just now.

"I'm going to have you on bed rest for a week." The scientist said. He reached for a long sharp tool that Buttercup didn't know that name of. All she knew was that it meant pain. But after a while, you stop feeling it. You stop forgetting what it's like to not be in pain.

"I'm missing my birthday." She already knew the answer, that's why she didn't say it as a question. Moreover as a statement. Because she knew... they were doing something else. A broken nerve wouldn't take a week to heal. "What exactly are you fixing?"

The scientist shrugged. "You'll see when it's done. Buttercup U dot one dash zero two. Override protocol seven, nine, three-three, four. Executive orders given by Dr. Smythe. Code nine, seven, two." 

The world blacked out. She might not not been able to hear or see anything—let alone respond. But she could feel everything. Cold metal sliced away layers of muscle and skin. A clip clamped her skin apart. Every incision, every break of a bone, every ripping apart of veins, everything. She felt everything.

Five hours. Five hours of torture. Five hours of pain. Five hours of screaming with nobody to listen. Five hours.

"Buttercup U dot one dash zero two, protocol sunrise enforced by Dr. Smythe."

Her eyes could open again. Her body could move. She could scream and shout and yell and yet... the second she woke up, all she wanted to do was go back to sleep.

She was removed from her bonds and allowed to sit up. Her back ached. Her spine felt as if someone had gone through and rearranged every bone and ever nerve. They didn't fix anything, Buttercup noted. They just made her...less human.

Her eyes traveled to the mirror. The scientists held up another mirror so she could see her back. Engravings lined with gold marked her skin from neck to her tailbone. Triangles ran down her spine. "What the hell..." She muttered.

"A few modifications." Dr. Smythe grinned. "You'll be much faster and efficient on missions now. It'll take a while for the incisions to mend themselves, but once it does we can go over it with a cold foam to speed up the scarring process."