♡Chapter 42

She was trying so fucking hard to hold back.

She wasn't in control.

She hated not being in control.

Look at you.

The voices laughed at her.

You're exactly what you were created to be.

A monster.

A machine.

You take orders—

"Shut...up..." she whispered between her gritted teeth.

Usually she'd see a green box around a persons face unless she'd already known them. Usually, she could control her own movements. Usually, she was in control.

But now, a red box appeared around Butch's face. Now, it was a struggle to even speak. Now, she was drowning in her head as she struggled to get her thoughts to connect to her nervous system. Struggling to move her body in a way that didn't result in herself strangling Butch.

Her head was getting foggy.

That's not a good sign.

It was only a matter of time before she couldn't hold back the inevitable.

Only a few moments before the pain was too much to bare and she relinquished all control.

She was holding on by a thread.

Dangling over the edge of a cliff with nothing to hold her other than her pinky finger.

"You... have... to... go." She squeezed her eyes shut. If she couldn't see him perhaps it would buy time.

"I'm not leaving you." His answer was sweet, sure, under possible normal circumstances. But this wasn't a normal circumstance. He was being an idiot.

"I...can't—you... need...to—" she broke off as her eyes opened wide. A hand balled into a fist against her side against her will.

"I'm staying." Butch declared.

You're gonna kill him.

His life is going to drain out of his eyes.

His soul is going to depart from his body.

And it'll all be your fault.

"Shut... up..." She tried to shake her head but even that was another request her body didn't reply to.

"Butters—"

"Idiot!" She yelled, finding the strength. "Get! The hell! Out!"

"Oh he's not going anywhere." Bellum crossed her arms. "And you are not helping. You can't hold it off forever. If you could it would have been a flaw in your code. A flaw in which would have been corrected years ago." She tapped her foot. "You are a creation designed for war, Buttercup. Accept it, and move on."

"No." Buttercup gasped as a sharp pain erupted from behind her head. It was as if someone had slipped a knife into her neck and twisted the blade—like a key sliding into a keyhole.

"I swear—" Bellum broke off. Her eyes widened. "Berserk, there's been a breach." She muttered.

"Where?" The freckled monster questioned.

"A half a mile or so away from here. Take Brute and check it out." Bellum declared.

"What?!" Brute gasped. "And miss this?!"

"Come on." Berserk grabbed onto Brutes arm and dragged her out the room.

A security officer whispered into Bellum's ear.