♡Chapter 40

They were lost. It sure felt that way. The rain had begun to let up—Thank God—and they'd successfully walked twenty seven miles. It should have taken them eighteen hours, but by some miracle they'd kept a pretty good pace and Boomer hadn't had to slow down or stop at any point.

Maybe those lessons with Butch and Buttercup were paying off.

The sun was in the middle of the sky, now. Covered by clouds that threatened to once again almost flood the world.

So no, it had not taken eighteen hours to walk twenty seven miles. It took, roughly, nine.

Now, Boomers small device dinged and pinged and an annoying robotic voice—based off of his own—chimed: "You. Have. Reached. Your. Destination!" Boomer shut it off.

"See any houses or anything that looks like an underground tunnel?" The last part was a joke, but Bubbles shook her head no regardless.

"I'm going to fly up and scan our surroundings." She declared. Her skin melted off, replacing with feathers as she folded herself in half.

It was like watching Mystique from X-Men, only so much cooler, Boomer decided.

Bubbles—Now as a hawk—soared into the sky to check for anywhere where they might be keeping the professor.

It didn't take long before she stumbled upon an old barndominium. Bingo she thought.

She returned to Boomer and shifted back into her human self. "There's an old building a couple miles a head." She said. "No windows."

Boomer nodded. "Hey, Brick? You there?"

Silence.

"We're in a dead zone now." Boomer cracked his knuckles. "Okay then, let's do this."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Bell had stopped waking abruptly. Her brows frowned as she examined a tree that had died. It looked... familiar.

The ashy bark, the bare limbs, the way its trunk curved around in an almost spiral pattern. She'd definitely seen this tree before. But where?

"Uh oh..." her eyes widened.

"That's not good." Brick muttered. He stopped and turned to face Bell. "What's wrong?"

"I know that tree." She looked around. "I know these woods."

"How is that possible?" Blossom questioned. "You've practically lived as a hostage at that base your whole life."

"I'd have to watch through security tapes." Bell's head swiveled to the right. "Him has acres and acres of experiments all over. Bellum feeds into his work."

Blossoms eyes widened. "So we're on camera right now?"

"If this is a hideout for Him's experiments..." Brick looked around. Memories of an earlier fight with a monster carved deep into his mind.

"Then being in film shouldn't be the biggest worry." Blake finished.

"What do you mean?" Blossom frowned.

A loud, earth shattering roar erupted through the trees.

Brick and Blake shared a knowing glance.

"Run."