♡Chapter 22

Bubbles laid on the bed, listening to the birds and crickets outside. They sang a song as old as the earth. One as beautiful as the nature it came from. She used to wonder if Birds ever wondered what its like to wonder what its like to wonder how to fly. Every time she was drugged up she became a poetic jumble of nonsense. She'd speak as if the sky wasn't even there. She'd talk like she didn't have a care in the world. And then she'd wonder. Wonder about the great out-doors. Wonder about wondering. She made up stories in her head. Adventures she longed to go on. Not once had she ever even dreamt she'd be on a mission saving the world that didn't know it needed saving.

In her adventures, she was a girl in a white dress. Barefoot in a meadow, dancing to the song of earthen melodies. She'd learn how to play a guitar and sing along with the birds. She was as one with nature as anyone could be. She could understand the birds. She knew what the butterfly's said as they fluttered past. She could comprehend what every squirrel tried to tell her. Her mind was bursting with flowers and poems and yet... she was stuck. Her whole life she was stuck.

Not once had she ever been a girl in a white dress dancing barefoot in a meadow to the song of birds. She'd never learnt how to play the guitar. She'd forgotten how to listen to the birds as they sand about their day. She'd forgotten how to read the way a butterfly flapped its wings. She'd forgotten who she was. She'd forgotten who she longed to be.

Lying there, on dusty bed, staring out the window into the dark midnight sky... she remembered.

Sure, who she was wasn't her choice. She didn't choose anything that happened to her. She wouldn't wish it on her greatest enemy. But she was glad for it. Glad that what she went through made her who she was.

Lying there, on the dusty bed, she longed to be that girl from her dreams. A white dress. Barefoot. Dancing. Singing along with the birds. Talking to the butterflies. Whispering secrets with the ants. Telling jokes with the squirrels. She wanted an adventure like the one she used to dream about.

Peace.

She wanted peace.

But in order for her to get that peace she so desperately needed, she'd have to get a little violent. She'd have to revert back to the killer she was trained to be. She'd have to become the thing her and her sisters feared... a monster.

She could do it.

She was going to get her dream. She was going to accomplish everything she'd ever dreamt about. She was going to fall in love. She was going to own a farm. She was going to buy a white dress and she was going to go dance in a meadow. She was going to learn how to play a guitar. She was going to sing with the birds. She was going to wonder. She hadn't allowed herself to wonder in so long. But as soon as this was all over? She was going to wonder. And all those things she was going to wonder about? She was then going to find the answer.

But for now, she'd have to settle with listening to the crickets outside as they sang about the cleverness of the night. She'd have to be okay with listening for now. Soon, she told herself. Soon I'm going to do.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The sun arose in the morning sky, along with it was Bubbles. She was usually up when the sun was, always awake before her sisters. It was odd to walk down stairs in a dark house she knew nothing about. It was odd to walk into a kitchen and not find the professor hunched over the table doing some last minute work. It was odd to see Brick scribbling down words in a notebook.

"Good morning." Bubbles chimed. She rubbed away at the tiredness from her eyes and sat down at in the chair across from brick.

"Mornin'" Brick said, but never looking up from his notes.