33

"Alex" I called out as I felt the wind become faster and more intense

"Alex" I called out as I felt the wind become faster and more intense. We were in a dense field that had tall grass. I looked far ahead and saw that we were at the edge of the entrance to a very dense forest.

The guard that Lek had sent over to protect me had followed Alex's car down here, almost an hour's drive.

I walked closer to where his back was to me as he stared in the direction of the dense forest.

I could tell that he felt another presence because of the immediate change in his body language.

I walked up and stood beside me trying to follow what he was looking at. I think for the first time, I saw Alexander's eyes lifeless, blank, hollow. It almost looked like the person whom the media described many years ago as the notorious businessman who married the King of Russia's Granddaughter.

I stayed silent not exactly knowing what to say. I was completely hopeless with the conversation going anywhere.

"How did Grace join your family" He asked in a cold tone after almost ten minutes of silence. My eyes snapped towards him in shock while trying my best to cover my facial expression.

"Extremely young, almost sixteen years ago when I was two. I remember seeing her but I'm not exactly sure when the relationship started or when they go married. All I know is that when my mother disappeared, she showed up" I explained briefly.

He nodded his head.

"What did she do?" I asked.

"She killed my wife"

I almost choked on the air I was breathing.

The words I wanted to say got stuck in my throat.

"How-" I suddenly choked up.

"They were best friends. Grace took My Ella's first Lover. After that, they started hating each other. By Grace was too jealous of her. She wanted to take everything that my Ella loved and soon enough she decided that if she cannot have everything, she will take her life from her" he explained in a monotone, almost like a robot just casually repeating words it was programmed to say.

"I-I'm sorry-" I replied.

"She seemed like a kind-hearted woman. All I've heard were good things" I continued. A smile suddenly crawled on his face.

"She was. Innocent, almost too innocent for this world. She should have never been dragged into our cruel world. She was my medicine, I never felt complete when she was not around." He explained while almost dragging out his smile.

He turned his head slightly to look at me.

"You are a lot like her" He commented.

"Me?"

"Mhm, innocent, kind-hearted, clueless, and too good for the men in your life" He replied and I felt a frown cross my face.

"I'm not clueless or innocent" I replied offended by his words. A chuckle sounded before he reached down and patted my head.