𝐗𝐈𝐗

INNOVATION - CHAPTER NINETEEN

⚘ SHATTERED GLASS ⚘

A dead Griever. That was what Minho had found. Something had killed the monster, and it hadn't been them. Or had it? Maybe the Griever just dropped dead on its own account, though as Kalisa recalled its mechanical build she doubted the possibility.

Now the question was, what did this mean for the Gladers?

"Ain't a good time for jokes." Alby muttered, looking peeved.

"Look, I wouldn't believe me if I were you either. But trust me, I did. A big, fat, nasty one." Minho said, eyes wide with excitement.

"You found a dead Griever?" Alby tried, still sounding like he didn't believe him.

"Yes Alby," Minho grunted. "A couple miles from here, near the Cliff."

Alby opened his mouth, failed to speak, and tried again. "Well- why didn't you bring it back with you?"

Minho laughed, "You've been drinking Gally's saucy sauce? Those things must weigh half a ton. And I wouldn't touch one if it gave me a free trip out of this place."

"What did it look like? Were there metal spikes on its body? Did it move at all?" Alby started firing questions rapidly, causing Minho to groan.

"Slim it man. You gotta see it for yourself, it's... weird. Anyways, I'm exhausted, starving, and sun-sick, so if you really wanna run out there a haul it back, we better leave now before the Walls close."

Alby looked at his watch and sighed. "Better wait for tomorrow."

"Smartest thing you've said in a week." Minho patted Alby on the arm, "I should probably get back out there but screw it. I gonna go eat some of Frypans nasty casserole." Minho called over his shoulder as he started off for the Homestead.

"You better go with him, he looks like he's gonna collapse at the blow of a wind." Alby said to her, though his eyes were fixated on Thomas. Kalisa could tell there was about to be an argument between the two, and she did not want to be caught in the middle.

Kalisa nodded a goodbye to Thomas before running after the Runner. When she caught up he sent her a curious look, "Miss me already?"

"Yeah, you wish." Kalisa scoffed, looking over her shoulder to see the newbie and Alby having a heated discussion. "Just looking for some peace and quiet."