Chapter One: In Prison

Velvet banged her head against the wall, groaning in frustration. it had been a few months since she and her younger brother, Veneer, were taken to prison. She was still immensely angry at Veneer for telling ALL of Mount Rageous that they were frauds! Veneer lay on the top bunk in their cell, and was humming.

"Just let me take you to a better pl-"

Velvet rushed over to Veneer and threw him off the bed.

"What. Were. You. Singing." She asked him incredulously.

Veneer paled and opened his mouth, but no sound came out.

"I'm going to give you one more chance to tell me," She said sweetly, pinning him to the wall.

"I-um, I was singing a song."

Velvet rolled her eyes and her grip tightened around her brother's throat.

"Tell me what you were singing, you beautiful idiot."

Veneer suddenly pushed her off of him and threw a pillow at her.

"I CAN SING WHATEVER I WANT! And, unlike you, I don't need someone else's talent to sing!"

Veneer had touched a nerve; Velvet's face heated up, and her eyes started to twitch. She chased him around their cell, a look of loathing in her eyes. After a while, Veneer had tired her out, and she was unable to even lift a finger. He laughed as she lay on the floor, sprawled out like an eagle. She let out a little snore, and Veneer smiled. He missed his childhood immensely.

'At least Velvs was nice then,'  He thought sadly. 'Now she's just plain terrifying!'

He pulled a blanket over her and kissed her on the cheek.

"Goodnight, Velvs," He whispered, tears welling up in his eyes.

Veneer climbed to the top bunk, and fell asleep instantly.

A few hours later, Velvet silently woke up, and started planning to escape.

'Ven is driving me CRAZY! I literally CANNOT with him any longer. I need to get out of this place' She said to herself as she gathered her secret supply of food, clothes, and money.

She reached under the floorboard, and pulled out a sharp, broken piece of glass. She smiled to herself as she tucked everything in a small golden handbag. Everything except for the glass. She stood on a chair and looked at Veneer, sleeping peacefully, while sucking his thumb. She rolled her eyes, and, before she could think about it, she stuck the piece of glass directly in her little brother's heart.

Velvet quickly slipped through the window, before Veneer even had time to wake up. She ran as far as her feet would carry her, eventually stopping in a garden full of blue and orange flowers. She breathed a sigh of relief, knowing she was far away from Mount Rageous. She plopped down under a birch tree, planning to rest, when she heard a muffled shout. She quickly stood up to reveal a small purple creature. She looked closer, and realized it was a troll!

Before the troll could react, Velvet grabbed him. 'Cute!' She thought, looking at him. He was purple, with yellow sweatpants and green and blue hair. 'I wonder if he can sing.'

The troll tensed, asking, "Are you going to eat me?" Beads of sweat appeared on his forehead

Velvet laughed. "No! Of course not. That's disgusting!"

She loosened her grip on the troll and he hopped onto her knee.

"I'm Creek," the troll said, holding out his hand to shake.

"Velvet," She said, giving him her index finger.

"What are you doing here? You don't really look like a troll."

Velvet raised her eyebrow.

"No offense!" Creek added quickly.

Velvet chuckled. "It's fine. I was just messing with you. I'm, well, I'm on the run. I was convicted of fraud and sentenced to prison with my idiot brother. He was driving me insane, so I escaped. Also, there's a certain troll I want to have a little talk with."

Creek's eyes widened "Enlighten me."

"Let's just say, She's the reason I'm in this position!"

Creek nodded, eager to hear which troll Velvet was talking about.

"Stupid Queen Poppy." Velvet said under her breath.

Creek abruptly sat up, and looked at Velvet, confused.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" He asked, a feeling of excitement tingling inside of him.

"Queen Poppy. Do you know her?"

"Yes! I do. I've actually been looking for her too." A mischievous grin spread across his face.

"Great!" Velvet clapped her hands. "Let's go find Poppy."

Velvet quickly changed into a hoodie and sweatpants. She motioned for Creek to hop in her hoodie pocket, which he did. The new friends headed out, ready to give Poppy exactly what she deserved.