Chapter Forty- Two: Asking the Tough Questions

"Hey Branch?" Floyd pulled out of the hug, his voice laced with concern.

Branch wiped his streaming eyes with the back of his hand.

"Yeah?" he whispered, his voice hoarse.

"Do you want to tell anyone else about this?" Floyd asked gently, brushing some of Branch's tears away with his thumb.

Branch hesitated for a moment, his mind racing; the thought of sharing it with anyone else filled him with trepidation.

"I don't know," Branch said slowly. "Maybe... I'm not sure."

Floyd nodded understandingly. "Okay. But I'm here for you whenever you're ready."

They sat in silence for a while, each lost in their own thoughts. Branch's mind raced, trying to make sense of why Velvet had taken Poppy.

"Floyd?" Branch finally broke the silence. "I don't know what to do."

"I know, Branch," Floyd replied gently. "It's a lot to take in. But you're not alone in this. You have me, Veneer, and you have the rest of your brothers."

Branch nodded slowly, taking solace in Floyd's words.

"I need to find her," Branch said determinedly. "I can't let Velvet get away with this."

"We'll find her, Branch," Floyd said confidently. "Together."

"But how?" Branch fidgeted nervously with his fingers. "Velvet's escaped from prison, she could be anywhere!"

"We have Veneer, remember? He can help us." Floyd said, his voice filled with certainty.

"Do you think he would really want to?" Branch asked nervously.

"I'm sure he would," Floyd smiled, wrapping an arm around his younger brother's shoulder. "But if you want to make sure, you could always ask."

Branch nodded. "That's a good idea."

Floyd sprung up and grabbed Branch's hand.

"Let's go find Veneer," He said, dragging Branch out onto the beach.

Branch obliged, and as they stepped out onto the beach, Branch took a moment to take in the beauty of the beach.

The golden rays of dawn pierced through the horizon, casting an ethereal glow over the slumbering shoreline. The crisp morning air filled Branch's lungs with a refreshing scent of salt and seaweed.

The beach, once silent and deserted, was now awakening to a symphony of sounds. The gentle lapping of waves against the shore created a soothing rhythm, while the cries of seagulls soared through the sky.

Branch turned his head and realized Floyd was far ahead of him. He quickened his pace to catch up with Floyd, and eventually they reached Veneer's room. As they approached it, Floyd knocked on the door.

"Hold on!" A groggy voice spoke out through the door.

There was a loud thump and the sound of shuffling as Veneer made his way across the room to open the door. There was a rush of cool air as the door was opened, and the scent of mint and vanilla hit Floyd and Branch like a wave, momentarily knocking the breath out of them.

Floyd looked up at his green haired lover, and felt a rush of blood shoot up to his face. Veneer's black eyeliner was smudged, and his green lipstick was entirely gone, showing his plump, peachy pink lips. He was dressed in pistachio green satin shorts, which ended mid- thigh, and an oversized periwinkle sweatshirt.

"Good morning," Veneer said, looking down and rubbing his eyes.

He yawned, stretching his arms above his head, and the movement sent a shiver down Floyd's spine.