Chapter Nineteen: Heading Home

"So, What did you want to talk to me about?" Floyd asked, strolling across the room towards Veneer.

"I may have lied," Veneer said, standing up to gather his new clothes. "After what you did, I thought we could use some alone time."

Floyd smiled a cheeky grin as his gaze lowered to Veneer's crotch.

"Whoa there bud!" Veneer held up his hand. "You got lucky when Orchid was in the room. Do you know how weird it would have been to reach into my blanket and pull you out? I think it's my turn to see you."

Floyd scowled. "That's not fair!"

Veneer shrugged. "Life isn't fair. Besides, I know you're not going to do anything so I'm not worried."

"You're a jerk." Floyd pouted.

"But you love me." Veneer grinned, pulling on his new shirt.

Floyd rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. You know what I meant."

Veneer laughed, motioning for Floyd to give him a hug. "I know, I know. You're just so cute when you're mad."

Floyd couldn't help but smile, his anger dissipating at Veneer's words. He hugged Veneer's cheek, enjoying the warmth and comfort. After a moment, he pulled away and Veneer gestured for Floyd to sit down on the bed. He sat down next to him.

"So, what do you want to talk about?" Floyd asked, glancing at Veneer curiously.

Veneer took a deep breath before speaking.

"I just wanted to say thank you. For everything you did for me. I know I can be difficult to deal with sometimes, but you never gave up on me. And I really appreciate that."

Floyd's heart swelled with emotion.

"You don't have to thank me, Veneer. You're my friend and I would do anything for you."

"I know, and I'm grateful for that. But I also want to apologize for not standing up to Velvet. I was so caught up in my own problems, I didn't realize how much you were struggling with your own."

Floyd's expression softened.

"It's okay, Veneer. You had your own issues to deal with. I understand that."

"Still, I'm sorry. And I promise to be there for you from now on. As a friend, and maybe even more." Veneer said, looking into Floyd's eyes.

Floyd's heart skipped a beat at Veneer's words. He had always secretly hoped that their relationship could be more than just friends, but he never thought Veneer felt the same way.

"I would like that," Floyd said, a small smile forming on his lips.

Veneer's face lit up with a smile, and Floyd jumped up to give Veneer a gentle kiss on the lips. It was a simple gesture, but it meant everything to both of them. 

"I think we have a lot to talk about," Veneer said with a mischievous glint in his eye.

Floyd laughed.

"We'd better call Kid Ritz before it's too late..." Floyd said to Veneer as he pulled on the jeans Floyd had bought him.

"Good idea! Can you call him? I need to use the restroom?" Veneer asked.

Floyd nodded and grabbed Veneer's phone.

"Hello?" Floyd asked when Kid ritz answered the phone.

"Hey Ven!" The voice said, mistaking Floyd for Veneer.

"Um..." Floyd considered how to tell Kid Ritz that he wasn't Veneer.

"So have you changed your mind? Decided to come running back to me?" The voice asked through the phone.

Floyd looked at the phone, disgusted.

"Um, maybe." He said, playing along. "I need you to drive me and a few of my friends somewhere..." He said, trying to sound like Veneer.

"Sure, I'll be there in 10 minutes." Kid Ritz said, not questioning why Veneer needed a ride.

"Thanks... I'll be waiting outside." Floyd said and hung up the phone.

"What did he say?" Veneer asked, walking out of the restroom.

"He's on his way here." Floyd said, handing him back the phone.

"Okay, let's go wait outside then." Veneer said, grabbing his jacket.

They walked out of the hospital and waited outside for Kid Ritz, brozone trailing quickly behind. After a few minutes, a flashy car pulled up to the curb. Kid Ritz stepped out, grinning from ear to ear when he saw Veneer.

"Hey Ven, I'm so glad you changed your mind." Kid Ritz said, approaching them.

"Actually, it was me on the phone." Floyd said, stepping forward.

Kid Ritz looked down at the blue troll, and his smile dropped when he realized he had been duped.

"What the hell? Why did you trick me like that?" He asked, getting angry.

"I was busy," Veneer told him, shrugging his shoulders.

"Doing what? You're in a hospital! What could you possibly be busy with?!"

"I was in the restroom," Veneer explained, his face flushed. "Can we please go now?"

Kid Ritz took a deep breath and nodded his head.

"You can ride in the front," He said to Veneer, opening the car door for him.

Veneer thanked him before turning his head to look at Floyd.

"Um, Ritz? These guys are my friends... could you also give them a ride? They're coming with me." Veneer asked Kid Ritz.

Kid Ritz sighed and opened the door to the backseat.

"Get in," He grumbled, motioning his hand.

Bruce, Clay, and John Dory hopped into the seat. Floyd however, stood on the sidewalk, glaring at Kid Ritz. Floyd growled at him as he finally climbed into the car. Kid Ritz rolled his eyes and quickly slammed the door shut.

"Let's go then," He said, starting the car and driving off.