Chapter Thirty: Dr. Clay

Veneer walked slowly, the leaves crunching beneath him. With every step he took, Branch became increasingly worried. He wasn't quite sure what Veneer was planning to do, bringing him and Floyd back where Viva had gone.

"Hey, Branch?" Veneer lifted up his hand to look at the small, blue troll. "Could you explain to me what happened?"

Branch sighed, and explained in rapid succession a brief explanation of what he and Viva had done.

Veneer looked at Floyd, and the two locked eyes. Veneer could see the sadness and pain that Floyd was sharing with Branch in his eyes, and it only made his heart ache.

"I understand that it's hard, but you really need to talk to Viva, to be able to fix your relationship, and understand why she did what she did." Veneer explained.

Branch's eyes widened, and he looked to his brother for help.

"Branch, Ven's right. You can't keep pushing it away. You need to accept the fact that something happened." Floyd looked at his younger brother, tears swimming in his eyes.

"B-but how?" Branch looked at the two nervously.

"You talk to her," Veneer said.

"How? How do I know she won't do it again?"

"We don't know," Floyd sighed.

"But we'll be right here with you." Veneer said softly.

"Really? Even you?"

"If you want me to be," Veneer said.

"Thanks Veneer," Branch said tearily

Veneer nodded. 

Floyd smiled, happy to see his boyfriend and brother getting along.

'Boyfriend is an overstatement... hopefully that will change soon!' Floyd thought with a smirk.

"Penny for your thoughts, Floyd?" Veneer asked, carefully pecking Floyd on the cheek.

"Oh! I- um... I'll tell you later..." Floyd mumbled, his cheeks flushing red.

"Ok..." Veneer said, raising an eyebrow.

Suddenly, Branch's ears perked up, and he looked around.

"Do you guys hear that?" He asked worriedly

"It... sounds like somebody's crying" Floyd noted, looking around as well.

Veneer bit his lip, and took a few more steps forward. He bent down by a bush, and pushed it to the side carefully. The three boys gasped, seeing Viva sobbing into her hands.

Veneer let Branch and Floyd down, and they carefully made their way towards her.

"Viva, are you okay?" Floyd asked, placing a hand on her back.

"L-leave me alone!" She sobbed. "I don't want to hurt anyone else!"

"Viva," Branch said, wrapping her in a hug. "You made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes, it's completely normal."

"It's normal to kiss your sister's boyfriend?" Viva asked snarkily, pushing Branch's arms away.

"She did WHAT now?" A shocked voice asked from behind them.

They all turned around to see Clay. He had a hurt expression on his face, and his eyes were clouded with tears of anger.

Viva gasped and quickly stood up.

"I- um.." She muttered, looking down.

"Let's talk about this somewhere else." Floyd said, placing a hand on Viva's shoulder.