Chapter Thirty- Six: Panic

Branch's hands began to shake, so much that he dropped the crumpled piece of black paper. He was consumed by a tempest of panic. His heart pounded like a drum in his chest. His vision blurred, and his mind raced as if caught in a whirlwind of terror.

As the seconds turned into an eternity of torment, Branch's mind spiraled out of control. Images of Poppy in danger flashed before his eyes, each one a searing reminder of the impending doom that loomed over her. His breathing became labored, and sweat beaded on his brow as the panic surged through his veins like a poisonous tide.

As the suffocating grip of fear tightened its hold, Branch's body began to tremble uncontrollably. His breath grew shallow, and his limbs felt heavy and numb. He felt as if he were trapped in a nightmare from which he couldn't escape.

Time seemed to stretch into an eternity as Branch's mind raced, searching for a glimmer of hope amidst the suffocating darkness. He knew he had to act, but his panic-stricken state rendered him incapable. Every thought was clouded by the overwhelming fear that consumed him.

As the seconds ticked by, Branch's body began to give way to the relentless assault of panic. His thoughts became fragmented, and he felt a sense of detachment from reality. The weight of the situation pressed down upon him with an unbearable force, threatening to crush him beneath its suffocating embrace.

Suddenly, a gentle touch on his shoulder startled him.

"Branch? Are you okay?"

He turned to see his brother, Floyd, standing over him, his warm amethyst eyes filled with concern.

"I-I don't know," Branch stammered. "I can't breathe... I feel like I'm going to die."

Floyd's face softened. "It's okay, Branch. You're not going to die. It's just a panic attack."

Floyd sat down next to Branch and took his hands in his.

"Focus on my breathing," he instructed calmly. "Inhale through your nose, hold it for a few seconds, and then exhale slowly through your mouth."

Branch hesitated for a moment before following his brother's instructions. Gradually, his breathing became steadier, and the darkness surrounding him began to recede.

"That's good," Floyd said. "Keep going. You're doing great."

For several minutes, they sat together, Branch focusing on his breathing. Branch's breathing steadied, his muscles relaxed, and the darkness that had consumed him dissipated. Tears of relief streamed down his face as he realized that he was not alone in his struggle. The panic attack slowly subsided, leaving behind a sense of exhaustion.

"Thank you," Branch whispered. "I don't know what I would have done without you."

Floyd smiled. "That's what I'm here for. We're in this together, remember?"

"You'll help me look for Poppy?" Branch asked, his eyes swimming with tears.

Floyd put a hand on Branch's. "We'll find her together."