Chapter Twenty- Four: Stop Means Stop

Credits to @Kikizsz for helping me again! I love you Kiki!

Branch looked at himself in the mirror in Viva's bathroom. His heart was racing, and his hands were trembling. He turned the faucet on, and splashed some warm water on his face.

After drying it with a towel, he sat down on a small stool and glared at his hands; the hands he had just used to caress Viva' thigh, the hands he had used to tug on Viva's skirt, and the hands he had used to drag Viva into this very room.

But they were also the hands that had brought Poppy's color back, the hands that had planned out Poppy's entire schedule, and the hands that had memorized every curve and dip of Poppy's body.

Branch looked up at himself in the mirror again, and was hit with a wave of realization. He loved Poppy, not Viva. Viva merely reminded him of Poppy, which must explain the feeling of adoration he had for her. But the real love, the real passion, was for Poppy.

Branch took a deep breath and stood up. He turned the light switch off as he left the room, and made his way into the bedroom. Viva was sitting on her bed, a look of longing in her eyes.

"Hey Branch, are you ready?" She asked seductively.

Branch sat down next to her and placed a gentle hand on hers.

"I-I can't do this, Viva. You and I both know this is wrong," He explained through teary eyes.

"But, Branch..." Viva's smile faltered.

"Viva?! Do you not see what's wrong with this? I'm in love with your sister, not you." Branch's voice broke.

"Branch! You don't understand! I love you!" Viva shouted, standing up, and pushing Branch against the wall.

Branch's eyes widened and he attempted to push Viva away, but she wanted him, and nothing in the world was going to stop her from having him.

Viva, stop!" Branch shouted, trying to break free from her grip.

"No! Branch, I won't stop until you understand that I love you!" Viva cried, tears streaming down her face.

She pulled him into a passionate kiss. Branch pulled away, his eyes filled with anger and disbelief. He stumbled back, staring at her in shock.

"Viva, I can't believe you would do this. You know how I feel about Poppy."

"Well Poppy's not here, and she'll never have to know," Viva said in a whisper.

"Viva!" Branch growled. "Stop it!"

"You can't resist me, Branch," she purred. "I know you want me."

Suddenly, the door flew open, and Floyd stood in the doorway, looking completely horrified.

"WHAT THE HELL!?" Floyd yelled as he looked at Viva incredulously. He quickly ran into the room, breathing heavily.

Branch looked at Floyd with a pleading look on his face. Floyd looked at Viva, and then back at Branch, and quickly understood that this was happening against Branch's will.

He sprinted over to Viva and pulled her away from Branch. At that moment he didn't care if she got hurt, all that mattered was his baby brother. He picked up Branch into an embrace and stroked his hair. From behind he could see Viva looking guilty.

Viva knew it was wrong, but the love she had for Branch clouded her judgment. She left her room, not looking back at them as she left. How would she tell Poppy? Poppy would never forgive her...

Floyd comforted a trembling and crying Branch. He'd never thought Viva could do something like that. He was totally disgusted with her. Branch looked up at Floyd and saw his angry, contorted face.

"Don't blame Viva," Branch pleaded. "It was my fault too,"

Floyd's face softened. "Branch? Did you..."

Branch's eyes widened and he shook his head frantically. "No, I didn't. I just led her on..."

"What do you mean?" Floyd asked sincerely.

"I've been missing Poppy, and Viva reminds me so much of her. I was just mixed up in my feelings. I caught myself before it was too late, and I'm so thankful you caught her."

"Of course, Bitty B, that's what I'm here for," Floyd said, pulling Branch into another warm hug.

Branch suddenly broke down, and started to cry uncontrollably.

"Hey," Floyd whispered, stroking Branch's hair. "It's gonna be all right,"

"N-no it's not," Branch choked out in between sobs. "Poppy's gone, and I have no idea where she went, or when she's getting back."

Floyd patted Branch's back consolingly.

"She'll be fine, Branch. Poppy is a resilient young woman, who knows perfectly well how to take care of herself. I'm sure she's out, having fun," Floyd said softly, into Branch's ear.

"You don't even know where she is!" Branch shouted in frustration.

"No, I don't," Floyd admitted, "but that doesn't mean she's not safe. She knows how to take care of herself. You taught her that. You should trust her, Branch."

"She's with her friends. And I do trust her, it's just... I have this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach, that she's in danger." Branch managed to say, in between sobs.

Floyd's heart ached for Branch. He could feel his pain radiating throughout the room. He wanted to do something to ease Branch's pain, so he held him tighter and continued whispering soothing words into his ear.

"I'm sure she's fine, Branch. She's with her friends. Nothing can happen to her. And she'll be back before you know it," Floyd said softly.

Branch nodded and continued crying until his tears dried out, and he was left with a dull ache in his chest.

Floyd stayed with him, holding him until he fell asleep, and even then, he stayed, watching over him, making sure he was all right.