Chapter Six: Candy and Crushes

Kid Ritz strolled down the candy aisle at the grocery store, and he bit his lip. There were so many different candies, and he had no clue what candy Veneer liked. He groaned and scooped up a handful of sour candies.

"Everyone likes sour candy, right?" He asked himself, gazing at the green bag of sour skittles. "Oh God, Veneer's so cute. I just wanna make a good impression. What if I mess this up!" He blushed furiously as a few teenage girls passed by, giggling.

 Kid Ritz made his way to the checkout line when his phone started to ring.

"Shit." He moved out of the checkout line and answered his phone.

"Hello?" He asked, fidgeting with his fingernail. He could feel the eyes of many angry shoppers staring at him.

"Ritz? Hey, It's me, Orchid."

"Oh, hey!" His face lit up, feeling happy to have a friend to talk to.

"So, I was wondering where you wanted to meet up." Orchid's sweet voice rang through the phone.

"Hmmm," He thought. "How about Smoothie King in about... an hour."

"Got it! See you then!" Orchid hung up, and Kid Ritz ambled to the end of the line.

When he reached the front of the line, he gasped in shock. The cashier was none other than his ex-girlfriend, Camille. She looked at him, a frown etched upon her pale, green face. She twirled a strand of her dark green hair, causing her pigtails to bounce.

"Ritz." She growled, as she started to scan his items.

"H-heyyy Camille! How's it going?" He asked her nervously.

"Everything's fine. How about you?" She looked down and a tear ran down her cheek.

"Cam, what's wrong?" Kid Ritz tried to place a consoling hand on her arm, but she pushed it off.

"Nothing, just didn't expect to see you so soon. Especially after what you did," She looked down, and started to bag his candy.

Kid Ritz looked at her face, and grimaced when he saw the scar next to her left eye. "Listen, Cam, it was an accide-"

"It was not an accident!" Camille shouted, throwing Kid Ritz's bags into his shopping cart. "You were the worst boyfriend I could have asked for. I can't believe you had the nerve to hurt me in the way you did. You knew I wasn't ready!"

"Camille!" Kid Ritz looked in her tearful eyes.

"My shift is OVER." She threw her name tag at him and stormed off.

A new cashier came up to the register and helped Kid Ritz pay for his groceries. When he was finished, Kid Ritz stumbled out of the store, his hands shaking in anger. He got into his car, and turned on the radio. To his horror, Camille's favorite song stared playing.

♪I wish you could see what you do ♪

♪You might hate yourself if you knew ♪

♪When we're not fightin' I'm a stranger to you, to you ♪

♪And all your insecurities are taken out on me ♪

♪You can call me a crier ♪

♪But you hurt me bad ♪

♪Tears run like water ♪

♪I'm not lookin' back ♪

♪'Cause you're just a liar ♪

♪And all that we had ♪

♪Is lost in the fire ♪

♪Burned into ashes ♪