Chapter Forty-Five: Plan B

The sweet smell of maple syrup hung thick in the air, mingling with the aroma of burnt toast. Branch stared at the blueberry pancakes piled high on his plate. He hadn't touched them, his stomach churning with worry.

"Come on, Branch," Floyd urged, pushing a plate of pancakes towards him. "You gotta eat something. We've got a long day ahead of us."

Veneer was already halfway through his second stack. "He's right, Branch. We can't go searching for Poppy on an empty stomach."

Branch sighed, picking up a fork. He knew they were right. He just couldn't bring himself to eat when Poppy was in danger.

"Mount Rageous is no joke," Floyd said, his voice grave. "It's full of 7 feet tall Rageons, giant cars, and who knows what other dangers."

Veneer nodded, his face etched with concern. "We need a plan. We can't just barge in there blindly."

"Poppy's probably being held somewhere hidden. Velvet obviously has her, but is hidden as well. We need to find out where, and how to get her out. We'll get her back. I know we will."

Branch forced a smile. "I know, Floyd. I just... I just can't imagine what she's going through right now."

"Well, she won't be stuck there for much longer. We'll leave soon!" Floyd said in determination.

"Where are we going first?" Branch asked, walking across the room, where he flumped down on
Veneer's bed.

"I think we should check the playhouse our parents built for us," Veneer said, his voice thoughtful. "Velvet loved hanging out there."

"But wouldn't that be too obvious?" Branch asked, sitting back up.

"It's always worth a shot," Floyd said, standing up and patting Branch on the back. "But... how are we going to get there?"

"Veneer won't fit in Rhonda..." Branch said, furrowing his eyebrows.

"And I DON'T want Ritz as a driver again." Veneer added, standing up and clearing their plates.

"Well, who could possibly drive us?!" Floyd asked, getting aggravated.

"Calm down, Floydie. We'll figure something out." Veneer said soothingly, picking up Floyd in his hands.

"But what?!" Floyd asked, stomping his foot.

"We need a plan B... and I can only think of one other person who would be willing to get us where we need to go... but I don't think you'd be happy about it." Veneer whispered nervously.

"Who is it?!" Branch asked.

Floyd looked warningly at Veneer. "Please don't say what I think you're gonna say..." Floyd said nervously, hopping off Veneer's hand.

"She's my only other friend. We have to." Veneer said slowly.

"What- who are we talking about?" Branch injected.

Floyd sighed. "I think the friend Veneer wants to take us is the same one who kidnapped me and gave me to Velvet. We talked about this the last time we were in Mount Rageous, but you were here, so you obviously didn't know."

Branch let out a low growl.

"Veneer," He said, his voice low. "You only have horrible friends."

Veneer flushed. "I know, I know. But it's the only way. I have to call Orchid." 

Veneer pulled out his phone, and called Orchid. It rang once. Twice. Three times. And then a fourth. There was no answer.

"I guess we'll need to find someone el-" Veneer was interrupted by a text message notification.

"Who is it?" Floyd asked, peering at Veneer's phone.

Veneer yelped. "It's Orchid! I didn't think she'd answer."

"JUST TEXT HER AND GET IT OVER WITH, PLEASE!!" Floyd shouted breathlessly.

"Ok, ok, I will!" Veneer said, clicking on the message.

_________________________________________________________

O- Hey, Veneer! What's up? Sorry I can't call, I'm kind of busy.

V- Oh, I was just wondering if you could do me a favor...

O- What is it?

V-I need a ride to Mount Rageous... 😅

O- Oh! Where are you right now?

V- Vacay island

O- Okay, I can do it. But give me a few hours, I have something I need to do first.

V- OMG! Thank you so much hun! 🙏

O- You're welcome <3 See you later!!!

_________________________________________________________

"That settles it," Veneer said with a sigh, setting his phone down. "She'll be here in a few hours. Get anything you need, because we're going to Mount Rageous."