14) People Change People

Aris's P.O.V

As promised, we stayed out of Sonya's way as she did whatever she was doing with Frypan. Besides, he'd be fine at the end. Probably.

"What else do you guys think will be in the city?"Harriet asked.

"Not a clue. I just don't want to get scammed, whatever that means,"I shrugged.

"Agreed there. Speaking of which, does anyone know how much time we have until we'll be there?"Teresa added.

"Not really. It can't be too long now though,"I pointed out.

"Five minutes at most,"Y/N said, coming out of nowhere. We turned to see her standing in the doorway before walking over and pulling out the chair to take a seat next to me. "Where's Sonya and Fry?"

"We don't know. Sonya's proving a point to him somewhere in here,"I explained.

"That's going to end great,"She mumbled, putting her bag on the floor.

"Maybe he'll learn,"Harriet suggested.

"Nah. I don't think he will,"I replied, absentmindedly placing my hand on Y/N's thigh. She put hers over mine and ran her thumbs across my knuckles leaving me with a small smile.

"It's not our job to make sure he learns,"Teresa added.

"I feel like at this point it needs to be somebody's job. I have never met someone so stubborn,"Harriet sighed, looking down with this slight gaze of disappointment.

"We do not have time for that. I don't know how long we have that will be safe, but we can't get too comfortable there,"Y/N reminded us.

"So what about Gally?"Teresa asked.

"He starts out on their side during the fight then joins ours. I don't think we should tell him that yet though. I don't want to screw up the way this is supposed to go,"She answered.

"But it all works out in the end?"I clarified.

"Yeah. Mostly,"She said just a little too quietly. As if to tell her I knew there was something she wasn't saying I turned my hand over and intertwined our fingers. She accepted the small gesture of affection while still not looking at me. Because she knows that I know. It doesn't mean she'll tell me, but it was just a small reminder that I can read her. She can hide from the world but not from me. No matter how hard she tries.

Your P.O.V

I understand that I'm going to have to tell Teresa. I just don't know where I would even start. Just saying that seems too casual but explaining it too seriously could make her think that we cannot change it. I have an advantage, but I don't know how deep it runs.

And he saw that. Aris could tell that something wasn't quite right as he held my hand. I'm trying my best for him not to, but he still sees right through me so effortlessly.

Is that terrifying? More than I can describe.

Will I try and stop it? No.

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

By the time we landed Frypan and Sonya had found us. He was grumbling something about hating bookshelves, and she looked perfectly content with herself. Even as we sat outside she had this glint in her eye every time he glared at her. I made an internal note to screw around, because I did not want to find out. Not from her.