46) We Won

It was a lot of waiting. An unusual, eerie amount of waiting.

The more unknown time we spent here the more this place started falling apart. The ground seemed to be nothing but harsh dirt, maybe even concrete. The vines that were once somewhat on the wall now were collapsing to the ground, turning brown. With the twisting and turning sounds of the Maze becoming clearer by the second, more and more people were added, some of them barely in the double digits. It was nothing short of a horror movie.

For now, all we could do was look at the door and wait for Thomas. Thomas who would tell us about the bombs and what they planned to do. Who would tell us to split up and run and fight.

Keeping a careful watch on the door, I kept taking deep, quiet breaths. While I wasn't eager to do this, I wanted it over with. Right now. No matter the outcome, at least everything would finally be finished.

Squeezed next to Aris, we leaned against each other. Because what else was there to do?

As we all just sat there, either trying to think about what the next step was or avoid doing so until we had to, there was this echoing bang. Quickly glancing at Aris, when he was looking back it became clear this wasn't just some dramatic hallucination that resulted from fear and justified paranoia.

With a single person stepping through, it was almost impossible to see their face. Not that it mattered. The brunette hair and fresh clothes was enough.

"Are you ready?"I asked quietly.

"There's no choice but to be,"He said firmly. Nodding in agreement, I crouched down in a way that made getting up and sprinting more reliable. Understanding what I was doing, he copied my action.

"Everyone! Listen up!"Thomas yelled, catching everyone's attention. "WICKED wants to experiment on you! They want to take your brains! We need to go before they can! We're leaving through the Maze!"He explained.

"Keep your balance,"I warned.

"What-"
Before he could finish his question the entire building shook, almost knocking me back to the ground. Keeping my hands firmly in front of me and my heels in the dirt though, I didn't let it move me even an inch.

"Right Arm!"Thomas screamed. With my eyes darting between each of the doors, I stopped just as one of them fell apart, the heavy stone crushing children to teenagers of all ages. With their blood soaking in the ground and even flying on some of the others clothes, it was no surprise at the screams that filled the place.

"Follow Sonya,"I said at the same time as Thomas. Spotting her blonde hair in its usual braid, I pulled Aris up before racing to the horrid death trap. Having been preparing myself for this moment, I controlled my breathing as I squeezed through with the others, sticking near the middle. Turning and twisting as if it was second nature, I got myself to the other side of the wall closest to our next one just as another bomb went on from the other side. The force ripped part of the wall down. With it collapsing on a slightly older girl, she didn't even have time to yell. Still, some of her friends or maybe even strangers tried to help.

They couldn't though. They couldn't, and neither could I. So maybe it was cold. Maybe it was inhuman, but I pushed that out of my mind as I kept going. I wasn't going to stop. Not until I was either out or dead. There was no other option.

Turning the other way, I nearly stumbled over my own feet as several people stopped before catching myself. Looking over the crowd, when there was just what seemed to be a place of nothingness and Thomas giving instructions to a few people, I knew what time it was.

Gripping my knife in my hand, as I looked left to right to the front, I reminded myself that a stab and twist is a guaranteed kill essentially anywhere. As long as I hit the right spot and do it quickly enough to get my weapon back I'll take at least a few people out in a way that would make them regret being on that side.