31) What Tomorrow Holds

Sitting on the bed, we fell into the new, short routine of him showering first while I kept working on my new carving. By now I had figured out exactly what would work. I just hope I had enough time. Between the leaves, the slim stem, and the general shape, there were a lot of intricate details to add that were admittedly a pain.

It was worth it though. Seeing them finished always brought an unbeatable level of satisfaction and seeing that he liked the one I gave him made that feeling even better.

Smoothing over another curve, when I heard the water turn off I put both of them in my bag. Placing it by the wall, I waited for him to dress and brush his teeth. Quietly whistling to myself, I waited until the door opened. Grabbing my clothes, as I walked past he pulled me back. Before I could react he was hugging me from behind, his arms around my stomach as he buried his head in my neck. I just grinned as I held him.

"What's this for?"

"What? I'm not allowed to show affection to my pretty girl?"

"You're the only one allowed to,"I reminded him.

"I know. I love being special to you,"I shrugged.

"Oh, you're special alright,"I teased.

"Was that part really necessary?"He complained.

"Yes. It was,"I shrugged, letting him hold me a little longer. Standing still in complete silence, eventually he moved my hair to the side and pressed his lips to my shoulderblade.

You don't regret this, right?

Regret us?

Yeah.

My love, I don't regret a thing. And before you say something, no. You don't need to apologize for asking.

Ever?

Never ever.

"I love you,"He whispered in my ear.

"I do too. I promise. I promise that I need you,"I sighed, taking in the way his hot breath tickled my neck and sent chills down my spine. "I also need a shower though."

"That can wait,"He insisted, tightening his grip. Not enough to hurt, never enough to hurt. Just enough for me to know, just enough for me to feel it.

"So can I shower now?"

"In another minute,"He whispered, resting his chin on my shoulder. Trailing my fingers down his arm, I didn't bother to ruin this with a smartass remark as I accepted his embrace until he was almost comforting enough to fall asleep on.

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

Back at my birth world sleep didn't come easily. To be fair, it still doesn't. It's better though. There's no sense of a false home, of being on edge at all times. There's no constant distraction or ache in my chest as I wondered if things would ever change. There's no weight on me that I couldn't explain.

I mean there physically is one. Technically, he could double as a distraction, but I don't mind. I don't mind when he intertwines our legs. I don't mind when he buries his head in my neck. I don't mind when he whispers sudden, sweet words in my ear. I don't mind when he pulls away for a moment to kiss my forehead. I don't mind when he hugs me from behind. I don't mind when he presses his lips to my shoulders.

I love all those things. I love him.

I just have to figure out the right way to say that.

So for now, I asked if he planned on using me as a human pillow as he rested his head on my shoulder, his breathing already quiet enough for him to sound asleep.