Sleepover

I step outside quickly and answer my phone.

"Hey, is everything okay?" I ask. 

It's sad that that's the first thing I need to question.

"Yeah, hey listen, mijo, I have a night shift tonight. I won't be home at all, do you want to sleep over at Khai's house?"

Oh. Well that's a lot better then what I was imagining.

"That'd be great. I'll have to ask, though." I reply.

"Sounds good, Tyrone. I love you." 

Her voice is sincere, but she sounds so tired. I don't think she should work, but I know she's to stubborn to let me talk her out of it. So instead, I say,

"Love you too, mom. Take care of yourself."

"I'll try to." She says quietly.

We hang up, and I head back inside. 

It's obvious that Khai didn't want to wait for desert. There's some chocolate ice cream around his mouth, and I can't help but chuckle.

"Sorry. I really like chocolate ice cream." He tells me.

"That's okay... hey, are you guys busy tonight?" I ask.

"Umm... I don't think so." Khai replies, glancing at his mom.

"It's just... my mom said she has a night shift tonight so she was wondering if I could stay here."

"Ooh! Please please please mom?" Khai exclaims. 

He glances at me.

"Umm.. I meant uh... yeah, that'd be great. If that's... okay with you, mom."

"Absolutely!" Hazel smiles brightly.

"Thanks. I appreciate it." I tell them both.

After we finish dessert, Khai and I head back upstairs to his room. On the way there, he rambles on about the things we could do, but I'm somewhat zoned out. 

I feel like there's something more behind why my mom wants me to stay here. However, I try to ignore the thought. I'm don't want to let it ruin my night.

"What do you think?" Khai asks.

"Sorry Khai, I zoned out." I tell him truthfully.

"Well stop it. That's my thing." Khai jokes, his facial expression holding the joy he is feeling. 

He's so full of happiness and love, and I can't say I don't enjoy the attention.

"Since we just had a little break, I can help you with your math homework now. But then after, you should teach me to dance again. Unless you're exhausted, of course." Khai studies me for a second. "You look a little pale, Ty."

"Do I?" I ask. 

I feel fine.

Khai shrugs, but he seems concerned now.

"And, that sounds great, Khai." I add.

Khai smiles and skips into his room. He looks around for a second, clueless.

"What were we gonna do again?" He asks.

"Now would be the perfect opportunity to get out of math by lying, but I really do need the help." I give Khai a hint.

"Oh, yeah, I rebemer now. I mean remember. Man, I have such bad balance I even trip on my words." Khai says, and I can't help but laugh.