Chapter 15

Y/n's pov

You place a flower on the table, the candles shining bright illuminating the pictures of the deceased from today. You find Manager Go on one of the pictures, and you lower your head once towards the pictures before walking back. Looking up, you see Mo Yeon with teary eyes on a rock and you make your way towards her, handing her a tissue. She lifts her head, taking it from your hands as you sit next to her. She takes your hand, squeezing it tightly as she somehow starts weeping harder.

'You know, whenever I look up at the night sky on the rooftop in between OPs at Haesung after a hard day, I sometimes see a few stars.' You say quietly, looking up to the dark navy sky showing a million shining stars.

'And rarely, I see two stars next to each other. Then I know, even when my life sucks sometimes, my mother and Mr. Lee are watching over me.' you say to her following your gaze up to the sky, seeing the carpet of stars.

'They're so bright when down here is a disaster. It's unfair.' She replies, her voice groggy from crying.

'Everyone who died today is up there. Watching us. So then we can wake up tomorrow and go out there to save as many people as we can.' You say, Mo Yeon only looking down onto her lap and tearing up again.

'Dr. Han?' You look to a soldier calling you, and you turn to Mo Yeon, squeezing her hand once more before you follow him away. You stop as you see Captain Yoo on the chair, the soldier leaving as Captain looks up to where you're standing.

'I called for a doctor because I'm injured.' He says as he sees your expression, and you walk over to him, looking for his injuries. He points at his shoulder, and you see a bloody gash through his shirt. You silently push his sleeve up, taking a clean pair of latex gloves and pulling them up on your hands.

'I missed you.' He says suddenly, and you stop cleaning his wound for a second before carrying on. 'I tried sleeping, drinking, running but I keep thinking about you.' He says again, and you focus on the wound, taking the thread from the emergency box once more.

'I'm stitching the wound. We're waiting for more liquid morphine to arrive so right now we only have those.' You say, handing him the pills over his shoulder.

'You haven't changed one bit. That's what's charming about you.' He says as he only holds the painkillers in his hand as you pull the strings together with a tweezer. He falls quiet at your silence, and you thread the string carefully over the cut.

'How did you decide to save...that patient instead of the other?' He asks hesitantly, and you look up from the wound to his side, his face neutral as you keep on stitching the cut.

'He had a higher chance of recovery. There was no point wasting time.' You reply, pulling out the loose thread to the other side of his skin.

'You decided quickly. And accurately.' He says, referring to the fact that the patient was now resting in the ICU.

'It's my job. I work in the ER. In the emergency department, it's always about making decisions. The longer you wait between patients, you waste both of their golden times. That means you increase the probability of both of them dying.' You reply again, hearing him smile airily.

'I don't care if you also think I'm heartless. It's the truth.' You add, Captain Yoo staring down at his lap.

'Why do you believe I would think you're heartless?' He asks, his fingers brushing over the packaging of the painkillers.