Chapter 58

CCTV footage 26022024xt

The door to the conference room in the headquarters gets thrown open, the Captain's eyes rimmed red as the doctor turns, the sunlight reflecting her skin paled from being underground for months.

He freezes seeing the doctor, both of them silent although the tears pooling in their eyes. The Captain's brows furrow, stiffly striding up to the doctor, squeezing her against him. His arms pull her closer, stopping his sobs as he buries her face in the crook of her neck. The doctor lowers her face into the Captain's chest, the tears wetting his familiar military uniform. Her arms slid around his waist, the Captain finally looking relieved feeling her warmth spreading over to his own unlike her ghost he made up in his head.

'I'm sorry I didn't tell you.' The doctor whispers, her voice muffled from the Captain's hold. The Captain only shakes his head against her shoulder, his hand cupping the back of her head as he squeezes her once again in his arms.

The Captain pulls away only by an inch, hesitantly placing his hand over her shirt, pulling it down to reveal her shoulder. The doctor looks surprised, both of them glancing over at the bullet scar on her shoulder. The Captain's eyes pool with fresh tears, gently pulling her shirt back over her shoulder.

'You're real.' He croaks, the doctor nodding desperately as his hands caress her face. She covers his hands with her own, her eyelids fluttering shut as the Captain presses his lips onto hers. He steps closer, pulling the doctor toward him as if to release the fear off of the both of them.

'I hadn't seen you in a year and I thought that would be the end.' The Captain says against the doctor's lips, his own arching upward.

'You didn't see me but I saw you. At my funeral.' She replies, the Captain pulling away just an inch with a questioning look.

'The taxi driver.' She says, the Captain pulling the memories from the bottom of his brain. 'He's my...father. He wasn't dead. I saw you through the camera. He also saved me from dying that day.' The doctor says again, the Captain's hand moving to hold her chin.

'That's why he kept staying around me.' He says, the doctor hesitantly reaching over to wipe his tears.

'Who else knew?' He asks, the doctor's smile faltering just a little as she lowers her hands onto his arms holding her waist.

'Reporter Kim, Detective O...and Mr. Lee had found me a psychiatrist too. I couldn't tell anyone else to stay dead to Haesung.' She replies, the Captain only nodding before he steps even closer to her.

'But before that, are you okay? I saw...what I thought was your last moment.' He asks, the doctor lowering her gaze.

'I know. I tried to stop you from seeing it but... the police insisted. I couldn't go to a hospital so I...did my best on my own.' She replies, the Captain's face turning concerned as she slowly lifts her shirt. His eyes water again seeing the large stitch marks on her side. He hesitantly places his hand over it, his fingers grazing the scar softly.

'You can't be sad just yet. The real problem was these. I got cooked like a chicken leg.' The doctor says jokingly, although her attempt is not great to say the least. His eyes widen seeing the burn marks lining her leg as she lifts up the sleeve of her trousers. Noticing that he did not find her comment at all funny, she puts the sleeve back down. The Captain only pulls her back into his arms, squeezing her once more and placing his head on top of hers.