Chapter 55

Author's note: bruh i'm preparing for acting lessons + part time job + drawing so i have way less time to write but here it is

Surveillance footage 220220245

The doctor thanks the psychiatrist handing her some refreshments without taking her eyes off of the screen in front of her. The psychiatrist stands behind her with his arms crossed, watching the project that she's putting together without saying anything. The doctor simply reaches into the bag of nuts, chewing one slowly while stretching her neck. 

'You seem too chill putting together the plan to bring him down to the grave.' The man says amusedly, the doctor dragging the video to the start and letting it run through. The doctor taps the fountain pen on the table, its memory card stuck on the side of the computer. 

'It's a congratulatory video from me to go live on his happiest day.' She replies, the psychiatrist chuckling as the older man also comes to watch the video on the screen as well. 'Eomma...and Mr. Lee, then me, Captain Yoo, and then me again. Now Reporter Kim too.' She mutters as the screen shows the list of evidence playing in order. 

'Well. That looks good.' The older man says, gesturing at the video. 'But what are you going to say when the police or the court asks why you didn't go to them in the first place? After...New York?' He asks the doctor, her only staring at the screen with an indifferent face. 

'I'll say because I was afraid that they'd kill me if I did. And send the Metropolitan police officers to the grave too.' She responds, the psychiatrist laughing again, his eyes filling with affection although the doctor remains unfazed. 

'Sounds like you.' The psychiatrist comments, the doctor only looking back at the two of them with a sour look. 

Shi Jin's pov

I stare at Dr. Han's business card in my hand, Daeyoung occasionally glancing at me from my side while training the new soldiers. I remember back to Uruk when she told me that if she let me on her plan, it would destroy my belief in justice. 

I can't say she was lying.

But if she asked me now if I regret still making my way into her life, I would say no in an instant. Han Seok Won would get away with everything he did. To Dr. Han, her mother, her father figure, and everyone else around her. He would become the chairman in a week, and get to tell the story in his favour. The murder charges had been filed against the current chairman's secretary, the two Haesung's leaders getting away without the tiniest scratch. 

Dr. Kang had also been sacked from every TV program for talking about Dr. Han on the live show. Haesung blocked every channel that put her on, and obviously, they couldn't afford to fight against Haesung for Dr. Kang only. So, they replaced Dr. Kang with the doctor who used to pick on Dr. Han instead. 

I tried contacting Reporter Kim too, to ask him to help me not let go of Dr. Han's case, but his phone was dead. When I visited the media company, they said he hadn't been at work that morning. Missing, apparently. It didn't take me a second to know who took him away. But there was nothing I could do to make the situation any better. It seemed like Haesung wanted to get rid of any trace of Dr. Han, as if to make her someone who never existed in the first place. When it came to the four of us, they did not even care. It was as if they knew there wasn't anything more we could do to help Dr. Han. 

Other than to feel like an absolute failure, helpless and lost against a massive corporation like Haesung. I wonder if Dr. Han had felt this for her entire life, not that it was very long to begin with. 

'Captain.' I look up, seeing Sergeant Seo standing in front of me. He stays silent as his gaze shifts down to Dr. Han's business card. He sighs, sitting down next to me as the other soldiers get inside the building to get ready to go home. 

'You know...I think...you should start moving on from this. I hate saying this, but there's nothing else we can do.' He says, picking at his fingers and looking away from me into the far distance ahead. 'She would hate seeing you like this.' He says again quietly, glancing back at Dr. Han's photo on the card. 

'I know.' I say, the edges of the business card growing soft from how many times I looked and touched it. 'But it's not as easy as it seems.' I respond, Sergeant Seo nodding timidly without looking in my way. 

'It's sad how the times we spent apart from each other is longer than the time when we were together.' I say suddenly, Sergeant Seo finally turning to face me. 

'Even though you couldn't see her, you were still under the same sky.' He offers, his face indifferent as usual yet the voice sounding soft. 'And even now. It just happens to be that she's up in the sky and you're under it.' He says again, standing up from his seat. 

'Looks like we need some time off too.' He states, gesturing at me to follow him. 'Seventy-two hours, no sleeping, only drinking.' He says, and I feel the corner of my lips arch despite the situation. 

'That's hardly the way to deal with our reality.' I reply, still standing up to follow him into the base. 

Y/n's pov

You look up seeing Mr. Lee bring in your guard from Haesung, the young man almost looking like a teenager shudders under the dark veil around his head, muttering something along the lines of he'll do anything if they let him go. Mr. Lee makes him sit in front of you, undoing the black mask from his head. His eyes widen watching you, Axel, and Reporter Kim coming to stand behind you as well. 

'Ee-sa-nim.' He stutters, falling backward. Axel adjusts the dim lamp on the side to illuminate the room better, Mr. Lee apologising for the method he used to bring him here once again. 

'I have a job for you. Unless you're with them now. In that case, I'll have you tied down in the basement until the job is done.' You say, the guard trembling once before nodding in agreement. 

'They tried to follow me home too because I asked something about your death. Of course, I would be on your side. At least...privately.' He says, his voice growing quieter. 

'Fine. You have one chance at this job. If you fail, well. You'll be ruining my entire plan. But if you can do it right, I will let you take the secretary position when I become the chairman. So get it right on the first try.' You say, holding up a USB chip from the table. The guard's eyes follow your movement as you let him sit comfortably on the couch, looking like he is failing to take in everything you are telling him. 

'I understand.' He replies breathlessly, still staring at you as you sit on the couch opposite to him. 

'Good. I see in a week, Han Seok Won will be the chairman and the inauguration will be streamed live on the news. Make sure everyone gets to see this live too.' You say, pushing the USB on the coffee table toward him. 

'What...is this?' He asks, looking up at you leaning back on the couch. He hesitantly takes the USB in his hand, glancing at Axel and Mr. Lee still standing beside him. 

'I believe I told you Haesung is a dangerous place. You'll see what I mean.' You respond, Mr. Lee escorting the guard out as he still looks confused. Axel stares at their backs for a few seconds before turning to you, sitting next to your spot.

'I heard that the court released Han Seok Won even after he was accused of murder solicitation. What if they let him out this time too? Especially Han Sung Dae is also on his side.' Axel asks, stopping your hand as you try to scratch the burn marks on your leg. 

'They won't.' You reply, fishing your hand out of his. 'I'll take care of that in a week.' 

CCTV footage 24022024

'Track her down and make sure you do your job properly. All these months I thought that stupid brat was finally out of this world and you let me see this shit?' The director shouts at the men, kicking the secretary's leg in his office at the Haesung's headquarters. The secretary tries to explain that the damage they inflicted on the doctor was sure to kill, the director only growing more angry. 

'But she didn't. Take her out for sure before the event. If she or anyone around her ruins my plan one more time, you're dead first.' He warns, poking the secretary in the chest before storming off.