Chapter 49

CCTV footage 13022024tuc

The police line is back around the spot on the Sung Soo bridge over the Han River, the broken guardrails still remaining as debris on the dark asphalt. The police detectives from Incheon police station stand inside the line, some looking on the ground for any remaining evidence as the rest look over at the car being pulled out of Han River. 

The two detectives run down the bridge to the riverside as the victim's car is dragged up by the workers onto the road below. The water streams out from the black car, splashing on the asphalt ground, shining under the winter sun. The detectives arrive in front of the crushed car with broken windows, staring at the car in front of them. 

'You're thinking what I'm thinking right?' The younger detective asks his investigation partner, the detective in his early 50s. He turns back to the car, his piercing gaze looking around the exterior before he reaches his gloved hands through the broken window, taking the black-box camera from the ceiling. 

'The car is more damaged on the left side. Only a few cracks on the right, which is the side where the guardrails are broken. Unless the person driving it crashed herself into this state, it's impossible. And that's unlikely since there's nothing else that is damaged around here.' The older detective notes, gesturing at the black car's left driver's seat with a huge dent with bits of pieces already missing from the damage. 

'Which just proves that there must have been another heavy thing crashing into the driver's seat. Breaking the windows and the entire front door. Perhaps another car.' The other detective replies, the excitement glinting in his eyes as he puts the black box into a zipped bag. The KCSI team comes over to the car as well, taking pictures and collecting the remaining evidence from the scene.

'Ya! What are you all doing.' The two detectives look up as another group of detectives march toward them, the same ones who were here a few days ago. The Seoul Metropolitan Police. 

'This is now our case. We are assigned to reopen the investigation.' The younger detective says, taking out the official document in front of their faces and waving it for good measure. 

'All because you didn't do well the first time.' His investigation partner also adds, the opposing police team's faces grimacing at the document. 

'The case is closed. What do you mean you're reopening it.' The team leader of the Metropolitan police says, glaring up at down at the two detectives, the others joining the two from the Sung Soo bridge as they notice the tension. 'You want to shame your fellow police?!' The team leader shouts, the two detectives standing unfazed in front of the fuming police team. 

'Because nothing adds up.' The younger detective replies casually, gesturing at his team to return to the Incheon police station. The Seoul Metropolitan police officers yell incoherently at their backs, the detective in his early 50s only waving without even turning around.  

'Goddess? We secured the black-box footage.' The young detective whispers into his phone once the other detectives get into the police car, disconnecting the call quickly before joining the others. 

Shi Jin's pov

The same cafe, the same two drinks. 

One in front of me, the other in front of the empty seat across from me. I feel the other customers glance at me, them only passing by thinking that I must be waiting for someone else. I imagine Dr. Han the first time we had coffee together after I eavesdropped the conversation between her and the director at the parking lot. I almost see her look at me with the same uninterested gaze, the cut on her lip dried with blood as I reach out with the ointment. Instead of slapping my hand away, she leans in, her lips stretching into a smile as I touch the cut with the ointment on my finger.