Chapter 56

CCTV footage 24022024x

The man in disguise grins at the worker at the convenience store, having paid for a few bottles of water. Another man in dark clothes lurks behind between the shelves, watching the disguised man with a big tooth. The worker irritatedly puts the water bottles into the plastic bag, handing it to him without even making eye contact. The man thanks her in his local dialect, taking the bag and leaving the store. The other man with a black hat trails behind him slowly into the night street. 

The disguised man looks behind him, his eyes turning sharp behind thick glasses although he finds nothing. Stopping for a few seconds, he glares around at the surrounding before carrying on making his way forward and turning the corner abruptly away from the dingy apartment building in the distance. The man in dark clothes comes back out to the view from between the cars, starting to follow the man again from afar.  

The man in disguise dials someone, speaking under his breath. 

Y/n's pov

'Never open the door to the building even if someone knocks. I won't be going back there anytime soon.' You hear Mr. Lee's voice from Axel's phone, Axel's hand moving to his waist as he frowns at Mr. Lee's words. Reporter Kim only looks between the phone and the both of you from the side, placing his cup of water on the table. 

'Are you okay? What's happening?' He asks as you look up, leaning forward on the table. 

'Someone's following me. I'll take them out. You stay with Y/n.' Mr. Lee replies, Axel brushing his hair away from his forehead in distress. 

'I'll stay here. You go help him.' You say, loading the pistol from the side and handing it to him. He looks down at you sitting at the table, hesitantly looking between your hand and the phone. 

'No. If one of them followed us all the way here, it's only a matter of time until they find where you've been staying. Axel, whatever happens, stay with Y/n.' Mr. Lee says, sounding ready to finish whatever he is saying. 

'Ajussi-' You yell into the phone, Mr. Lee only disconnects the call, Axel's phone screen turning off. 

'You have to find him. Once they know he's not leading them to where I'm staying, they'll do something to him first.' You say, getting out of your seat and pushing the gun towards Axel still standing in dilemma. 

'No. He's right. He's only being followed by one. More of them could be nearer.' He replies, starting to gather all your belongings from the apartment, glancing up at you staring at him. 'You can't be up here anymore.' He says again, grabbing you and Reporter Kim's arm and pulling you toward the stairs inside the apartment leading to the basement. He leads you both into the room with the mannequins for shooting practice, pushing you inside with all your other things.  

'Stay here. If anyone comes-' He starts speaking, only to be interrupted by a loud sound of the door being thrown open upstairs. Axel puts his finger over his lips as he looks at you, grabbing the pistol from the side and locking the door after him. You run to the door seeing Axel run up the stairs, the gun stretched in front of him. 

'How did they get here?' Reporter Kim asks from behind as Axel stops you from following him out, locking the door to the basement. 

'They must have been searching for me the second they found out I wasn't dead. We need to find-' You both feel yourself crouch down, the basement almost shaking from the gunshots firing just upstairs. You watch Reporter Kim pale, covering himself with his arms against the blasting sounds coming from upstairs.