Chapter 52

Shi Jin's pov

A month since you died. 

Still nothing. 

People are forgetting about you. 

Even though they follow the news and the articles, nobody at work or even in the streets talks about you anymore. 

Just the four of us remember that day as clearly as the Han River right now. 

I stand next to Detective Shin, the youngest of the detective team as they search the Han River for the last time for Dr. Han's body, the late autumn rain pouring down on Seoul city. They told me that they had searched for her body for days after the accident, but found nothing. I pleaded for them to take me to the site once more, for the last time, to search for her body at least for cremation. Although they were reluctant that if the body hadn't been found for a month, it was possible that it wasn't going to be found at all. 

Or they talked briefly about...the killers doing other things to the body, but I stopped them before they could talk more about it. 

Detective Kang only scratches his head apologetically in the distance next to Detective O staring out to the river with a grim expression, looking out to the others searching for the body. The two detectives turn around, making their way toward me standing by the police cars. 

'Seems like...she's not anywhere in this area either.' Detective Kang says quietly, his eyes focused on the ground as the two make their way toward me. 

'It could have been the rain moving the body away.' Detective O says nonchalantly, the others giving him a look to make some effort to show some remorse although the detective only shrugs, leading us all back onto the police car. 

'Where are you.' I say as look to my side, finding Dr. Han sitting by my side, her eyes focused on the road ahead, unseeing within her lifeless form. She doesn't respond, only staring away from me into the distance. I wait a few seconds for her response, sighing as I remember that her ghost is just in my head. 

'Of course, you wouldn't tell me.' I reply to myself, Dr. Han still staring at nothing while sitting in silence. The police detectives only eye me awkwardly, avoiding looking at me properly as the car starts, leaving the site. 

'Have you found anything?' Detective Kang says into his phone, some detectives searching Dr. Han's apartment for the fountain pen that I told them about. I had told them to look for her pen where all the evidence is hidden, the evidence crucial enough to send all of the Haesung's men into prison for good. 

'Eo, looks like she left to somewhere frantically. With all the clothes and her stuff lying everywhere. We almost thought she was robbed either before or after she died. But no sign of entry or anything like that.' I hear the other detective say from the other line, Detective Kang glancing at me from the front seat before turning back to the phone. 

'I mean, did you find the pen? The Montblanc one.' He asks, the detective on the phone falling silent for a few seconds. 

'No? There are other pens on the table though. But not the one we are looking for.' The detective says, the rest of the team sighing deeply. 

'Alright.' Detective Kang says, ending the call. The atmosphere in the car hangs heavy, only the heavy rain falling onto the blue Han River below. 

'So...did she know she would die?' I ask, the detectives glancing back at me in surprise. 'She tried to run away somewhere. But for some reason...she stayed back.' I say, remembering that Dr. Han was with Dr. Kang on the day. I wonder if she was trying to spend the last day with her friend before running off to somewhere after I told her to forget about the past.