Chapter 48

"Tony.. are you down here?"

Tony hears Olivia calling him, as she makes her way down into his workshop. She can see him sat on the couch, with a drink in hand.. and he looks.. to have been crying?

"Tony?" She rushes over to him.. "What's wrong?" He quickly tries to hide the tears, but she doesn't miss it, she takes his hands away from his face and holds them in hers.. "Hey.. talk to me.."

"I'm not good enough Olivia.." he admits.. "I'm really not.."

"What's with all the sudden lack of confidence huh? You're Tony Stark.."

"Exactly.. Tony Stark.. the playboy billionaire who's never deserved a family.."

"Who said that?"

"No one needs to say it, because I feel it.. that's I feel.."

"Why? I don't understand.."

"For many years Olivia, I've dreamed of having a family, but whenever I tried to get a girl to stay.. they wouldn't.. they only wanted me for one thing so.. that's who I become.. and now.. you.."

"That's right.. I stayed.."

"But you wouldn't have if Hank got there first.. would you?"

"What? What's he got.."

"If he wasn't married, or whatever.. you wouldn't have choose me.. would you?" Tony cut her off, catching her off guard with these questions, she wasn't sure how to respond.

"Tony I.."

"And it only weirdly happened because you fell pregnant.. so Joseph made you stay.. not me.. it was never about me.."

"That's bullshit.."

"Is it? Can you honestly say.. that you would have stayed? Because I don't think you can.."

Tony shifted himself away from her, tears filling his eyes again as he stood up from the couch. He ran a hand across his forehead, Olivia was getting flashbacks from the hotel room. She couldn't understand where this was coming from, she really thought after their conversation this morning they were going to try and make it better.. but he keeps going with this self vulnerability, she doesn't know what to say to make it right..

"I love you Olivia, I really do, and I want you to be happy.." Tony sighs, turning back to face her.. "That's why I'm going to let you go.."

Olivia was stunned, she didn't know what to say. Why was he doing this? They are supposed to be a family.. and he's just letting them go..

"What?" She stood up taking a step closer to Tony, but he moved away from her.. "Tony, why would you say that?"

"I want you to be happy, and I'm afraid I won't ever be the right person for you.."

"I am happy Tony! With you!"

"Yeah?" He asks.. hesitant to show her out he pulls up his phone, and shows her the pictures of him and Christine.. "How about now?"

"What.. what is this?" Olivia glances at the screen.. the same photo of Tony and Christine that Hank had given her, the same photo that is hidden away upstairs.

"These were apparently taken a month before a Joseph was born.." Tony's jaw clenched as he kept the phone pointing in her direction.. "I can't remember, I was drunk.. but that doesn't mean it did or it didn't happen.. how can I be sure?"

"Tony.."

"Now can you tell me that you're still happy? When I cheat on you right before our son is born? What kind of person does that?"