Chapter 20.13 - The Forever Labyrinth, pt. 1

A room. Even older than the previous ones. Tattered walls and an assortment of objects scattered everywhere, almost like a storage room of sorts.

"This is an exotic attic room," Mia stated.

Grace took her comment as a description and replied, "Yes, we've kind of traveled away from our own world..."

Mia pulled her arm harshly, forcing her to step off the wooden planks she was standing on.

"Watch out. You fall down there," Mia pointed to the box, "we lose each other."

There was a chair again, two piles of laundry, two baskets woven with branch skin. But what seemed to catch Grace's attention where the paintings. The only things in the Forever Labyrinth with color outside of its palette of gray and blue shades were the paintings. A bird soaring towards the moon, its feathers flying out; a stitched mess of red, golden, green, and brown, with lines of blue - the Egyptian goddess from which they had traveled through. A stone plate lying on the ground. It had no color, but Grace found herself attracted to that as well. As if there were blue sparks fizzling off its edges. There were two passageways, one on each opposing wall.

"I don't see water here," Mia grumbled. "We have to get to the room of Seas and see if we can find clues for Golden's whereabouts. Let's keep moving. I expect you'll follow before the bell sounds?"

"The bell...?" Grace started. Mia kept walking towards the door on the right.

"Hey! Wait for me!"

"A vibrant attic room," said Mia, upon entering the room.

"A dead end," Grace groaned. There was nowhere to go. Crates and landry piles, dirty towels and woven baskets. A small rock, with similar properties to the stone plate.

"Or is it?" Mia inquired with a smirk, obviously with knowledge Grace didn't have.

"Oh come on, I said to stop speaking in riddles!"

Mia only smiled in return and picked up the rock. Grace could see, looking more closely, that it no ordinary rock, but an octagonal black token, carved with an eye. Mia put it in her knapsack. Then she looked at the remaining three paintings.

"Grace, do you see water here?" She spoke with a smile, so Grace figured there was no wrong answer.

"The second one," she chose. Its main color was blue - the floor was blue, the windows were blue, the walls, the glass, the curtains, the chairs, folders, candelabra - all blue. No direct bodies of water, though.

"A room of Reflections, huh? It's deep in the forest, I know, and that's a common place to be trapped...but let us go anyway." Grace froze, scared she'd made a mistake, but Mia confidently pulled out a thick notebook from the pocket of her knapsack.

"A hundred pages..." she whispered, sliding her hand along the cover. "One's findings on the labyrinth. Nothing is of good use, but it tells a story of someone who might still be surviving - the Figure, perhaps?"

"Who's the figure?" asked Grace, though she received no reply in return. Mia flipped through the journal to a certain page and held it to the painting.

*  *  *

"What would you call that kind of...travel?" asked Grace. She had no words for the feeling she would never grow used to.

"I usually call it, star plus warp - stwarp," Mia grinned. Grace burst into laughter.

"That's as bad as the...what was it? Bahedifo...something!"

Mia laughed as well. She leaned against a table and raised an eyebrow. "Where to next? I'll leave it to you. The Reflection Passage has many doors."