Chapter 20: the full-ass story

Help this chapter is literally 11,140 words long, including this small piece of "info".

But I like writing these chapters, no matter the size - it's fun to write something people actually appreciate.

------------------------------------

"And now, for a personal favorite of mine - 'Stay'!" said Grace.

The crowd erupted in another wave of cheers.

"Alright, here goes."

The singer held the mic close to her mouth and began to sing. Her voice captivated everyone who heard her, unable to believe she wasn't a bigshot yet.

Half-way through her song, a certain blue-haired boy standing in the very back caught her eye, the natural color poking out of the hood of his hoodie.

"Benjamin?" she thought, but she kept on singing, not missing a beat. Benjamin was all alone, his little boyfriend nowhere to be seen. This was Grace's one and only chance. If she was going to take her partner back, it was now or never. She patiently continued to nail every note until the song ended, then hurried off the stage and pushed past the crowd to find Benjamin before he ran away again. Luckily he was still standing there, his eyes fixated on the drawn curtains.

"Benji!" Grace called, waving cheerfully.

Benjamin turned around, his eyes wide in fear and his small frame trembling.

"Don't...call me that," he muttered, finding his voice. He pulled his hood further over his eyes.

"So, have you come here to finally come back to us? And be with me?" Grace smiled hopefully, her eyes twinkling like shining stars.

"I'm...gonna have to pass on that offer," said Benjamin nervously, looking away, suddenly feeling overheated. But Grace had noticed his hesitation. Better than his usual automatic response of no.

"You're thinking about it," she giggled, which earned her such a soft glare it was almost cute.

She knew she was starting to lose Benjamin. He could run away at any second, and even with Grace's growing fame and power, she wouldn't be able to stop him. She had to think fast. Do something she hadn't done before.

"B-Benjamin, I've decided something. I...want to run away with you guys."

Benjamin narrowed his eyes, trying to see if Grace really meant what she said, and Grace tried to use her years' worth of experience from watching her parents' smooth covers and escapes to pull on her best acting face. Even if she was lying, no one could tell what was behind her white smile.

"Really, I mean it! I've realized that the life of fame's not for me, even for the money," Grace laughed, "and I hope you can accept me as part of your group, even as a third wheel?"

Benjamin didn't meet Grace's eyes, but Grace knew he was already ensnared in her trap.

"Hey, there's an art gallery going on on Thursday, super rich people are gonna be there, like those art-loving fanatics who'll buy scribbles for a million, know what I mean? Our parents won't be on the guest list, but my friend is going there, she invited me and..." Grace paused for effect, and it seemed to work as Benjamin looked up at her. "You can take the invite."

Benjamin stared at her again, not believing anything coming out of her mouth.

"Serious! Here," Grace bent down and took an envelope out of her black lace-up boots, "the invitation. Andrea gave it to me right before my performance, the silly goose, so I've had to carry it all this time. And now it's yours. Take it. You won't see me there, but I'll give you Andrea's number so you have one familiar person."