Chapter 21 - Choose Wisely

"Reth discovers that his best friend, Picon, has been hiding a dark secret. Picon has been using his powers for illegal activities, and Reth is faced with the dilemma of reporting him to the authorities or keeping quiet. What does Reth do, and how does it affect their friendship? Does he choose loyalty or justice?"

Yes, I broke the fourth wall at some point, mentioning the multiverse...

More than 2k words?? Actually, because of this sickness confuzzling (yes, confuzzling) my brain, it's 2k of nonsense. And no, that grammatically doesn't make sense, but whatever.

Yay the gif could fit 👏

-------------------------------------------------------

When Andrea reached the chain link fence, it was already dark outside, the moon and stars shining in the clear sky. The noises of the city, mostly cars rushing and late night chatter, played as background noise. Her two real friends - they wouldn't leave her like Grace did - were waiting at the spot, looking up at Andrea upon entering. Reth was the first one to speak.

"Andrea! We thought you weren't gonna show up this time," he smiled. "It's been a really long time, hasn't it?"

"I guess it has been a week," Andrea replied. She was upset to think she had wasted an entire week on Grace's plan, only for it to be foiled by...none else than herself. "Sorry, no dinner this time."

Reco rolled his eyes at Reth's dramatic sigh.

"Come on, you want me to starve to death?" Reth gasped.

Ignoring his desperate act, Andrea placed her boombox on the ground, setting up to play the track "Rewind" on repeat.

Andrea, Reth, and Reco once made this song together. A catchy beat they titled "Rewind" after Reco's cover name. That was weeks ago, and they still sung the song today. It remained to be their favorite, combining each of their own unique styles into a music piece they all found resonance in.

Reth grabbed his microphone excitedly, while Reco's eyes were darting around nervously, like he was expecting something bad to break the peace. Andrea glared at him with narrowed eyes. She knew the reason for Reco's nervous behavior. And her suspicions were confirmed when Reco got a call, which he immediately picked up.

"Gotta go," he muttered, before rudely running off from the battle, leaving Reth confused and disappointed, then angry.

Once Reco was out of eyesight, Reth growled, "I don't get what's with him lately! He keeps running away from me, again! I thought it was a hitman thing at first, but then why would he hide it? He's finally okay with me knowing his 'dark secret'."

Andrea gave him a blank stare. Did he seriously not know?

"You don't know about...the company?" Andrea asked.

"The company? What company? Hey, did he tell you something I don't know?!" Reth yelled indignantly.

Andrea sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Reco. He works at a drug company a side-time, he never told you?"

Reth froze as he processed Andrea's words.

"He confided in me one day, and I guess he was scared you'd...break up with him or something."

"Look, I'm fine with the killing and all, but this shady company? No good!" Reth grumbled after a few moments. "I can't believe he'd do something like this! He'll kill himself!"

"If they don't first," Andrea snorted, which quickly turned into a cough as Reth glared at her.

"Thanks for telling me," said Reth. "Now...what do I do about the situation?"