Chapter 11: Cat

I clearly remember there was someone. 

I was reading, stood up to keep the book, and when I turned, I really saw someone standing there—a shadowy figure. While running away from the library, I could hear footsteps following me, and that couldn't be just my imagination.

"Morning, butterfly," his arms locked around my waist, causing me to pause my spinach chopping.

With a nuzzle and a kiss on my neck, his hands explored my stomach, turning me to face him.

He was wearing a black vest, showing off those gym gains, he'd just come back from working out while I was busy making breakfast.

"Admiring the view?" he asked, and I realized I'd been staring at him. Cue my cheeks heating up in embarrassment.

A low chuckle escaped him. 

"Is the breakfast ready?" I nodded, and he teasingly pinched my cheeks. 

 "I'll be back real quick to savor the meal my dear wifey prepared." Saying this, he left the kitchen.

I sighed, the events of last night lingering in my mind, and I couldn't shake them off.

 Zephyr was acting like it wasn't a big deal, but I couldn't shake off my worry for Miss Thornfield. 

As the clock approached 8, none of the staff had shown up yet. I decided to take charge, arranging the dining table and placing the food, then taking a seat to the right of the main chair, waiting for Zephyr.

Soon, I heard the sound of footsteps, and I looked up to see him walking in, adjusting his watch. He gestured for me to stop as I attempted to serve him. Instead, he took over, serving me first and then himself.

"Mmm," he growled, "This is damn good."  He nodded knife gesturing towards the spinach sandwich.

He took my hands in his and kissed the back of my hand. 

"You tried it?" he said, slicing off a piece of his sandwich. 

I shook my head in reply. 

"Give it a go."  He brought his fork towards me. 

 I looked at him and took a bite. 

"Good?" he asked, waiting for my nod before smiling. 

"Have more," he insisted, handing me four sandwiches.

 "But that's a lot," I protested, looking at the pile. 

"Eating is crucial, love. I can't have my girl looking all frail. Imagine the impression it'd make on your family if I couldn't take care of their precious girl's well-being." 

I didn't argue back and just grabbed a sandwich and was about to take a bite when he kind of ordered, "Here, use a fork and knife. Your hands will get dirty."

 I took them, sliced through one of the sandwiches, and took a bite.

After breakfast, I got up, planning to clear the plates when the doorbell rang. 

"I'll get it," I told Zephyr, and he nodded in agreement.

Approaching the door, I opened it to find Catherine standing there. She bowed and greeted me with a "Good morning" as I nodded, allowing her to enter. Closing the door, I turned to see her standing in the hallway.

"Why didn't any of the staff come?" I inquired. 

She explained, "Mr. Reynolds told them to come only on Saturdays and Sundays." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.