Chapter 39: Wine

3rd Person's POV~

"Have you cleaned the vases?" Victoria asked Catherine who just entered the kitchen.

"Yeah, vases, door, and all the frames are cleaned," she replied, her voice small.

"Good. Now, go and clean Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds' bedroom. I will take care of Mr. Reynolds' study. He will be arriving this afternoon," Victoria instructed in her tone cold while wiping the counter. 

Their fear of him was palpable, evident even in his absence, as they avoided mentioning his name.

Catherine sighed wearily after cleaning the massive estate. "But, Mom, I cleaned the room when they left just four days ago; it wouldn't be dirty," she protested softly, her eyes nervously scanning Victoria's face.

However, a stern look from Victoria quickly erased any sign of fatigue as Catherine straightened up.

"How many times have I told you not to address me casually in the estate? Even Mrs. Reynolds is aware of our protocol. Revealing personal information is strictly against our rules. What if Mr. Reynolds were to find out?" Victoria scolded firmly, her eyes reflecting both strictness and fear.

"Daphne won't tell him, she promised me," Catherine whispered softly, her gaze fixed on the ground as she nervously fiddled with her frock.

"IT'S NOT 'DAPHNE' FOR YOU! Address her as Mrs. Reynolds. Have you forgotten your place, Catherine? And what's this 'him'? He's Mr. Reynolds to you! You must always address them with the utmost respect. This is not just about cleaning; it's about maintaining the standards and dignity of this household. You are a maid here, and you must always remember your place. Any familiarity or casualness is completely unacceptable. Do I make myself clear, Catherine?" Victoria's voice rang out, leaving no room for argument.

 Catherine remained silent. She wanted to reply, but she didn't want to argue with the woman who had raised her. She had always held back her thoughts and words out of fear and respect.

"Yes, Miss Thornfield," she said in a low voice. 

"Go and clean the room, NOW. It doesn't matter if you cleaned it today or yesterday; what matters is 'Did you clean it now?'" 

Catherine nodded quietly before turning away.

"Make sure to clean the cupboards as well. Mr. Reynolds specifically mentioned it before he left. And do it thoroughly; there shouldn't be a speck of dust, not even in the corners." 

 Catherine responded with a low "yes" before walking away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daphne's POV~

Today was the day we were leaving, and here I was, packing our stuff back into our bags. Downstairs, I heard Zephyr calling my name.

"Yeah, I'm coming!" I shouted from upstairs, hastily finishing up the packing.

Hurrying downstairs, I found him standing near the counter. 

"Are you ready?" I asked as I approached him, a smile spreading across his face.

"Yeah," he replied, coming closer to plant a sweet peck on my lips.