Chapter 17: Dance

Daphne's POV~

"I need to know what happened that day," I stated firmly, eyeing the maids as they exchanged nervous glances.

"Mrs. Reynolds, we're really sorry, but we can't say anything without Mr. Reynolds's permission," the first maid timidly replied.

"Don't worry about it. I'll handle Mr. Reynolds."

They once again exchanged looks.

"We can't give you all the details, but Mr. Reynolds was really concerned about your safety when you mentioned seeing someone in the library," the second maid explained hesitantly. 

"As you know, Mr. Reynolds instructed the other staff members from different floors to leave after breakfast, except for Miss Thornfield and Catherine," the first maid. "However, due to a misunderstanding, they both left the estate, believing they were included in the instruction."

"When Mr. Reynolds found out, he was angry and decided to remove all the staff, assigning Miss Thornfield and Catherine to manage the entire estate." 

"Now, they only come on weekends when Mr. Reynolds calls them for tasks such as gardening and cleaning the storeroom," she concluded.

"And who were the staff standing there that day in a line?" I asked.

"The staff were from the 5th and 6th floor. There are separate staff for those floors, and they were also scolded. I'm sorry, but I can't tell you any further," the second one apologized, bowing respectfully.

I sighed, "I understand. Thank you for sharing what you could." 

"We apologize for any inconvenience, Mrs. Reynolds," they replied.

"It's alright. You've done your part," I replied, giving them a nod of understanding before turning to leave.

Now I'm super curious about what's going on up there on the 5th and 6th floors. Like, why are they being all secretive and not letting me check it out? I mean, it's not like I'm trying to take over the whole estate or anything, but I just have this feeling that there's something important up there that I should know about. 

As I descended the stairs, I noticed Zephyr approaching me with a concerned look.

 "Love, where have you been? Are you alright?"

"Yeah," I replied still lost in my thought.

"I've been pacing around here, wondering where you were. Catherine shouldn't have had to come find you. You should've been by my side," he said, his tone slightly irritated.

I was totally caught off guard by his sudden shift in mood. "I-I'm sorry, Yeah, she came to me, but on my way to you, a kid accidentally spilled some juice," I explained.

Zephyr's expression darkened with annoyance. "Damn kids," he muttered, loud enough for me to hear, "They're nothing but a nuisance."

"No, it was just an accident, but it's fine," I reassured him but he rolled his eyes in response and took my hand, pulling me closer.

...

After meeting with all our guests, we all proceeded down the long passage toward the ballroom, which had a door at the end.