Chapter 41: Past-I

"Don't you dare do anything foolish that'll bring down serious consequences on your head. And mark my words, I. mean. it."

She turned to leave, but my words stopped her in her tracks.

"Why?"I blurted out, my voice tinged with frustration and hurt.

She pivoted back to face me, her eyes meeting mine with a mix of curiosity and concern.

"Why won't anyone tell me what's really going on? Why does everyone seem so troubled? I feel like something's being kept from me. What is it!?"A tear escaped from my left eye, betraying the pent-up emotions that had been building since day one.

"Since day one, I've been following these useless rules that don't even make sense. The way people behave around me is just... weird. And don't even get me started on the brothers. They're always so wrapped up in their own stuff, never bothering to clue me in on anything," I ranted, my frustration pouring out in a rush of words as I struggled to catch my breath.

"Say something, Miss Thornfield! What is it that you're all hiding? Earlier, I thought it might be something small, but now I can sense it. I feel like I need to know before it's too late. After reading those few pages of the journals and hearing what Catherine told me about Zephyr... I know there's something serious," I confessed, my head throbbing with the weight of it all.

"What did Catherine tell you?" she pressed, her urgency palpable.

But I held back, refusing to give her an answer.

"Why should I tell you anything when you won't give me any answers?"I snapped.

"You're so mannerless and stubborn!" she spat out in anger, turning to leave again. But I wasn't going to let her go that easily.

I shot back, my voice rising with frustration, "Think whatever you want, I don't care!"I stormed towards her, blocking her path.

"Daphne, get aside!" she demanded, but I stood my ground. She tried to push past me, but I remained unmoved.

"I won't move until you tell me what's going on," I insisted, my voice firm with determination.

"Why don't you understand? I'm doing this for your safety!" she finally confessed, her fierce gaze meeting mine with equal intensity.

She sighed heavily before stepping a little back, "I'm doing this for you, for your safety," she murmured softly.

"If you truly cared for me, you would have already told me the things that are important for me to know," I retorted, my voice wavering with emotion. I just wanted to understand what was going on and what was stopping her from being honest with me.

"I won't let history repeat itself," she muttered, her voice strained with emotion. I stared at her, perplexed.

"Repeat itself? What do you mean?"

There was a heavy silence for a moment.

"Please Miss Thornfield," I pleased while looking deeply into her eyes.

"Where is Zephyr?"Her voice seemed distant, lost in some unseen space.

"H-He was tired and fell asleep," I replied quietly, wiping away my tears as I tried to compose myself.

She took my hand firmly by the wrist and guided me forward, wordlessly leading me through the corridors. I didn't speak, simply following her lead.

Eventually, we arrived at Zephyr's study room. She inserted the key into the lock and turned it, the door swinging open with a soft click.