Chapter 28: Morning

I woke up and felt some weight on me. I looked down to see Zephyr's arm around my waist tightly. As I looked beside me, I saw him sleeping peacefully. 

Tears filled my eyes again as memories of last night flooded back. I tried my best not to cry, but his words echoed in my mind, "If I hear your annoying cries in my sleep again, I swear, the next time you cry will be at your family's funeral." 

My body hurt all over, and I couldn't move an inch without feeling a sharp ache. My legs felt heavy, and even trying to bring them together made me wince in pain. My hands throbbed because of how tightly he had tied them. I felt so vulnerable, so helpless, lying there beside him.

He looked so peaceful in his sleep, so different from the monster he became at night. But now I knew the truth about him, about what he was capable of. It made me clench my jaw in anger while tearing up, but I felt powerless to do anything about it on my own.

"You're brave, girl. Get up," my subconscious whispered and I cautiously reached out to lift his hand, but he groaned in his sleep, so I quickly closed my eyes, pretending to be asleep. 

After a moment, I peeked and saw him turn away from me. I let out a sigh of relief and slowly sat up, wrapping myself in the blanket.

Tears welled up in my eyes once more. I never imagined my husband would do something so horrible to me. He had taken advantage of me, abused me. From afternoon until late into the night he just treated me like a whore. I couldn't help but cover my mouth with my hands, trying to hold back the sobs. Glancing at the nightstand, I saw it was 6 in the morning. 

I slowly tried to get up on my legs and stumbled, but I managed to steady myself by grabbing the bedpost. Taking small steps, I walked with my legs slightly apart, as the pain was unbearable. Finally reaching the bathroom, I threw the stained sheet away.

My eyes fell on my reflection in the mirror. They were swollen and red, my hair messy from sweat and tears. My neck and cleavage were covered in marks and hickeys, while my face and cheek were red from his slap. My lips were chapped and rough, with traces of dried blood where he bit me. Purple-red bruises adorned my waist and left arm, which reminded me of the belt he used on me.

Tears filled my eyes and I immediately looked away. 

He... he raped me.

I sat under the shower, naked against the glass wall, resting my head and turning the water cold. I hissed as the cold water hit my skin, making my scars burn.

Every inch of my body ached, reminding me of the horrors I endured last night.

I was numb.

I cleaned myself and silently wrapped myself in the bathrobe before turning the knob slowly. I saw him sleeping; his lower body was covered with a blanket, while his upper bulky body was naked, his right forearm resting on his forehead and his eyes closed.

I tiptoed towards the wardrobe, limping from the pain. As I dragged the wardrobe door silently, I was about to reach for an oversized t-shirt when I felt a muscular hand on my waist, making me startle.

"Shh, it's just me,"  his voice was gentle but made me gulp, and tears well up in my eyes. I immediately turned around to face him. His hair was tousled, and he was naked, with a towel tied around his waist.

"You're up early?" he spoke in his husky morning voice, his hands caging me between the wardrobe, one on each side of me, as he leaned in closer.

A tear slipped from my eye as I tried to hold back my emotions. His thumb gently wiped it away, causing my eyes to flutter shut involuntarily.

"Hey baby, why are you crying?" he asked, cupping my cheeks tenderly and lifting my gaze to meet his. It was as if he didn't remember anything from last night.