Chapter 2: Pay

"Why'd you run from the dinner last night?" Abby asked as we rode the subway to Manhattan. It was 12:06, and we'd already powered through three college lectures.

"Just wasn't feeling chit-chat," I replied, tapping my leg to the rhythm of the subway's hum. 

"And seriously, marriage at 21? It Seems way too early," Abby rolled her eyes, "We haven't even explored half of the city yet, let alone anything else. Marriage can wait."

I sighed, "Yeah, but..."

Cutting me off, Abby said, "Spill. What's eating at you?"

"I talked to Mom and Dad about not wanting to dive into marriage so soon. But they're all, 'Oh, the guy's got money, he's interested, what's the harm?' They even said I could still do the job or business thing, just like Mom's doin' now like after marriageThey want me to chat with him privately after the dinner thing. If I'm not vibing, they're cool with it," I spilled out everything that had been brewing in my mind.

She nodded, "Just talk to him. Don't rush into things and let emotions mess with your head. If he's a dud, tell them you're out. Simple as that," she advised a hint of mom-mode in her tone.

"Yeah"

We reached Manhattan at 1:00, the city's energy buzzing around us. Standing outside a sleek glass building, the sun cast chilly shadows. 

 "Dude's a spoiled, rich daddy's money brat," I chuckled at her statement, and we made our way into the reception area.

We approached the receptionist, a friendly woman with a sleek headset and a welcoming smile as Abby took charge. 

"Hi, We're here to meet Mr. Xavier Reynolds. I'm Abigail." 

The receptionist confirmed and nodded. 

"Certainly, Ms. Abigail, Mr. Reynolds is expecting you. Take the elevator to the 30th floor, and his office is right there."

As we made our way to the elevator, Abby leaned in and whispered, "Did you notice this place? It's like we stepped into the future — everything's made of glass and this white clear marble. Totally futuristic vibes."

I nodded in agreement. 

The lobby was indeed a spectacle. From the polished reception desk to the walls, everything was crafted from glass. 

The floor was made up of a pristine white clear marble which added a touch of sophistication, giving the whole place a futuristic feel.

The elevator door closed as I pressed the button for the 30th floor. We waited, and soon enough, the doors opened to the 30th floor.

Stepping out, we were greeted by the same sleek glass and white interior that defined the building's aesthetic. 

The space exuded a minimalist charm, with very few employees working in each glass-walled cabin. 

Some were seated at their desks, their attention momentarily diverted from their laptops as they glanced at us before returning to their work.

Abby and I navigated the open space, following the direction the receptionist had given us. The atmosphere was hushed, with the occasional tapping of keyboards and soft murmurs filling the air.

We found ourselves in a corridor adorned with bright lights and white marble. The only door at the end signaled that we had reached our destination.

She knocked, and a voice from inside said, "Come in."