Chapter 6: Estate

"Goodbye," my mom said, her voice choked with tears.

 Zephyr and I stood in my parents' home. A week had flown by, and every day seemed to blend together with its routine – wake up early, head to college, return by noon, and study for the next day. 

The highlight of it all was the dinner with the Reynolds brothers, where they'd share stories of the day.

Nights were now the best part, curled up beside my husband. I opened up to him more, appreciating his caring, sweet, and lovely nature. It was like he'd come home with something in his hand every evening just to make me happy.

Zephyr held the door open for me, and as I settled into the car, my eyes started to well up. I fought hard not to cry; I didn't want my family or Zephyr to see me all sad. I didn't want them thinking I didn't want to go.

For someone like me, who's never really left my hometown, traveling to other states or countries feels kinda weird. I'm not exactly a travel buff.

The driver pulled away, and I could feel Zephyr's eyes on me. He pulled me in closer, and it meant a lot having a guy who just gets it without me saying a word. It all felt kinda dreamlike.

He planted a soft kiss on my head and said gently, while his hand comfortingly rested on my waist, "They'll be joining us soon, butterfly. It pains me to see you all teary-eyed."

I swallowed hard, wiped away some unexpected tears, and nodded. 

He made me look at him, saying, "We'll be starting our new life over there, just you and me."

I managed a teary smile as he kissed me on the lips, "That's my girl."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was pitch dark outside as I glanced out of the car window. We had reached the Peak District after a 7-8 hour journey from NY to Manchester airport. I had dozed off during the flight; the whole journey left me exhausted.

"Lower the volume," Zephyr instructed the driver seated up front. The driver promptly adjusted it to 29.

Meanwhile, Zephyr sent a quick text message to someone. He then looked up again, directing his attention to the car's radio. 

"Increase it to 30," he directed the driver in a little irritated tone, who promptly complied.

I couldn't quite grasp it; was there any real difference between 29 and 30?

After another 45-50 minutes of travel, the car came to a stop. Silence settled as the driver got out, opened the door on Zephyr's side, and he stepped out. Walking around to my side Zephyr opened my door, taking my hand to help me out.

My jaw dropped as I took in the view. The scenery was absolutely stunning – no houses, nothing nearby. Looking ahead, the sky had this dark brown, greyish hue. 

A broad, wet road stretched out beneath us, flanked by flat plains on both sides and two majestic mountains.

 In the distance, an estate, almost like a castle, stood proudly amidst the valley. It was enormous, with enough space around it, surrounded by plain lands and two smaller mountains on either side.