Chapter 32: Periods

Daphne's POV~

Reading this, I couldn't believe my eyes. The husband she adored so much, the one she thanked God for every day, had betrayed her. It's just heartbreaking to think of her all alone, pregnant, with no one to take care of her or listen to her, especially after her trust was shattered. That's just too much to bear.

I quickly hid the diary under me as the heard door opened. I glanced over and a chill ran down my spine, it was Zephyr. My body went cold as he walked in with a smug grin and tossed his coat on the couch.

"Love," he smiled but his eyes landed on the nightstand and narrowed as he picked up the painkiller wrapper. 

"Painkillers?" he asked, making me nervous.

He sat beside me, concern written all over his face as he cupped my cheeks in his hands.

"What's wrong, butterfly? Why the painkillers?" 

"Oh, you know, I just love the taste of painkillers. They're like candy to me," my subconscious mocked.

"Where does it hurt, doll? Why didn't you let me know?" his voice was laced with concern as he quickly grabbed his phone from his pants pocket and dialed a number.

 "I-I'm okay," I replied weakly, but he didn't buy it.

"No, you're not," he whispered softly, his fingers tracing my jawline gently. 

"Patrick, get over here, now," he ordered in his cold voice to the person on the phone, and within five minutes, there was a knock at the door.

The door opened revealing the same guy I'd seen before.

 Patrick?  uh... J-James? James Patrick! 

Just like the first time I saw him, he was dressed the same as a typical doctor, with rectangular framed glasses, a blue shirt, pants, and a suitcase in hand. It was now clear, he was a doctor.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Reynolds," James said, then glanced at me. I shifted uncomfortably, pulling the blanket closer covering myself, and adjusted my clothes.

"Don't be shy, my love. Tell the doctor everything," Zephyr urged, and I felt a lump forming in my throat.

 How was I supposed to explain what had happened? That my husband had assaulted and raped me, leaving bruises all over my body, and now my period had started, adding to the pain?

James pulled up a chair beside the bed and sat down, his gaze fixed on me. The two men's stares felt suffocating, and I swallowed nervously.

"Daphne, say something—" Zephyr began, but he was cut off by a knock at the door, making him glare angrily in the door's direction.

"Come in!" he barked, his irritation evident.

I was Miss Thornfield. I glanced at her, hoping she'd intervene somehow. She met my gaze which was pleading. Maybe she could do something to help.

She came in with a tray of hot tea and a heating bag and placed them on the nightstand.

Zephyr looked puzzled, his brows knitting together as his gaze fell upon the heating bag in my hand. "Why did you bring this?" he asked, his voice tinged with curiosity. But before he could say anything more, James intervened.

"Are you on your period?" he asked, and I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment. 

Discussing my period with men was definitely not something I was prepared for. I hadn't really talked about my period with anyone besides my mom, Jane, or Abby, so discussing it with them made me feel awkward.