Chapter 10: Stranger

I froze as my eyes widened, fixated on the figure standing in the row on the right side of the room.

Who's there?

 The dim light made it hard to discern features, but a shadowy silhouette indicated a person's presence.

One, Two, & Three

I sprinted towards the door, my heart pounding in my chest. 

Run, run faster! 

My mind urged me as I reached for the knob, frantically trying to open it. Panic set in as the door seemed stuck, and my attempts to turn the knob became more desperate.

In a rush of fear, I managed to unlock the door and burst out into the hallway. I didn't stop there; my feet carried me down the staircase, my breath catching with every step. 

Glancing back, I could still hear echoing footsteps, urging me to move faster.

Reaching the main door, I fumbled to unlock it because my hands trembled.

 As the heavy door swung open, I dashed outside, gasping for breath. I stopped near the iron gate, surrounded by the guards. With my hands on my knees, I looked back, expecting to see the mysterious figure, but surprisingly there was no one.

 I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was being watched past 3 hours.

"Are you alright, Mrs. Reynolds?" a guard asked.

"You shouldn't run in such weather, Mrs. Reynolds. It may not be good for your health," another one said.

I glared at him. 

Seriously? Did he think I would run in this chilly, windy weather? If yes, then he was actually dumb.

"There's a strang-"

Beep, beep. 

The honk of a car cut me off as I saw a Rolls Royce – Zephyr's car that he usually takes to the office.

What is it doing here? 

I couldn't see the inside of it; just the driver's face was blurly visible.

The watchmen bowed as they opened the iron gates. I was standing in the middle of the bitumen road as the car stopped again.

I walked aside, but the door of the car opened, revealing Zephyr.

He raised his eyebrows, glancing at the watchmen before turning his gaze back to me.

"Where are you heading?" he inquired in a cool tone.

"No, I was just—there," I pointed towards the house.

"There's someone inside," I added.

Furrowing his brows, he gripped my wrist and walked briskly, practically pulling me along.

"Where?" he questioned, a hint of concern in his eyes.

I pointed toward the ceiling, "On the 4th floor, in the library."

His eyes furrowed once again, "Library?"

A moment later his eyes widened as he took my hand again and led me towards the bedroom, instructing, "Stay in and don't come out, Until. I. Say." 

He locked the room leaving me alone.

"Zephyr! Zephyr, don't go alone," I pleaded while patting the door, but there was no reply.