Chapter 40: 5th Floor

"E-Evelyn's Journal?" Victoria was shocked as she flipped to the bookmarked page. She read the entry, sighing with relief that Daphne still didn't know the whole truth. She only knew about the betrayal by the Reynolds' identical twin brothers, and even that was only half of the story.

She thanked her lucky stars that Zephyr hadn't found the journal otherwise he would definitely kill her if he did.

She quickly cleaned the room, glancing at the clock. It was almost 2 PM, and they would be arriving soon. Just as she finished, the doorbell rang.

...

Daphne's POV~

Miss Thornfield opened the door, and I gave her a warm smile, but she didn't even look at me which I found unfamiliar. She just bowed and wished afternoon with a poker face. Zephyr as usual didn't reply either and just walked with me hand in hand towards the staircase.

"Hope you had a lovely honeymoon, Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds. Lunch is ready. Shall we prepare the dining room?" Miss Thornfield asked from behind us, but Zephyr just raised his index finger, indicating no.

"I want the keys for the 5th floor," he said without looking at her while I, who was standing beside him looked at him confused.

 The 5th floor? 

I glanced back at Miss Thornfield and saw her pale expression. She seemed really worried. 

Does she still think I'm not part of the family and shouldn't be allowed on the 5th floor?

"Do I have to say it again?" he growled making her hurriedly run to the other corridor. She came back after a minute with a bunch of keys and handed them to him.

"I don't want any kind of interruption and disturbance. We're still on our honeymoon, isn't that right, baby?" he looked at me with a playful smile and nudged me. My cheeks heated up, especially knowing Miss Thornfield was hearing this. I gave him a quick nod, feeling a bit embarrassed.

He chuckled and suddenly picked me up in his arms, making me shriek. 

"What are you doing?" I whispered, my heart racing.

"Oh, just making my way up the stairs," he said,  pecking my lips.

I glanced back at Miss Thornfield and noticed she had a weird look on her face. When our eyes met, I felt a wave of nervousness wash over me. What was her problem? Her expression made me feel like I had done some sort of crime, or does she still have some issue with me?

...

We reached the 4th floor and stood in front of a door labeled "Staircase 5th Floor." My excitement was palpable. 

I always wanted to explore these floors. What were they hiding up there that only "family members" could see? Zephyr unlocked the door and pushed it which produced a creak and revealed a staircase. We climbed up, and soon I found myself in a dimly lit corridor.