Chapter 1: Loss

My Dad's bookstore was where Abby and I found ourselves on a lazy Sunday afternoon. 

The place had this cozy vibe, with polished dark mahogany walls & shelves and warm lights. Across the shelves, there's a long table with some green indoor plants, and six chairs for anyone wanting to grab a book and get lost. 

We're on the second floor, sitting between the aisle of two bookshelves. It felt more like a haven for book lovers than just a store.

Abby sprawled on the floor surrounded by books, while I nestled on a cushion, back against the shelves. We both had copies of the same book, giggling through the pages, it was the best thing ever. The air around us smells of old and fresh books.

"Hey, Abby, come to page 158!" I yelled as I reached an intense scene. 

She shot me a look, a playful grin, "Don't tell me, just give it here!" she exclaimed.

 I chuckled at her eagerness, passing her the book.

"Whoa," she whispered, eyes wide. 

"It's a smut, Daph!" she mouthed.

 I grinned, "Told ya." 

We burst into laughter, not giving a damn to the people across the shelves. Her laughter is contagious, making everything seem way cooler.

As we kept on, I found myself reminiscing about our high school days. Abby and I were polar opposites. 

She was the lively, sassy extrovert, and I, the quiet, introvert, shy bookworm. The only thing we had in common was our love for romance novels. 

Fate threw us into a battle over the last copy of a famous author's book in Dad's store, and since then, we've been inseparable.

Now, here we were again, lost in the world of fantasy. Abby was more than a friend; she was a mentor, guiding me through life's twists and turns. 

She taught me to be bold, to face fears, and to embrace the unexpected. Our friendship was like a blend of differences that worked.

"What are you girls doing here?" I looked up to see Dad standing five steps away with a dusting stick in hand. 

Abby greeted him with a wave, "Afternoon, Mr. Hayes." 

"Afternoon" 

He raised an eyebrow while dusting some shelves, "Don't you have any classes today?"

"Dad, it's Sunday," I reminded him. 

He chuckled, "Right, right. Well, if are here to read, follow that," he said, pointing at the rules on the bulletin board. We nodded, and he went back downstairs.

The story reached its conclusion, and we reluctantly closed our books. 

"Whoa, that was legit amazing!" Abby grinned as we strolled through Brooklyn towards my place.

 I rang the bell, and Mom opened the door, tossing her apron aside. "Why'd you take forever? It's 6."

"Hey, Mommy!" Abby high-fived mom. Seriously, they're like besties. 

"Cupcakes are on the table," Mom pointed to the dining table. We headed there while she went upstairs.

"These cupcakes are bomb!" Abby exclaimed, grabbing one from the tray and taking a massive bite. 

"It's freakin' delicious!" she exclaimed between bites.

My mom's a baker she bakes at home and we're out here doing daily jobs to ship those sugary delights to "Gourmet Bliss Bakes,"  and getting paid for Mom's baked goodies.