Chapter 12: Family

FLASHBACK

"Arrange a meeting with that bastard Smith for tomorrow," Dad spat out between bites of his breakfast.

"Cover your ears, baby," Mom whispered in my ear and gestured me to tell Xavi to follow.

"And what about that Drew? Did he accept the deal?" Dad demanded, his voice laced with irritation as his secretary, standing beside him in a crisp navy tux, trembled nervously, struggling to maintain composure and avoid stuttering.

This was the seventh secretary Dad had gone through, each one disappearing mysteriously after submitting their resignation letter—letters that Dad had practically forced them to write.

No one knew where they went or what happened to them as if their identities had been completely erased.

"Mr. Reynolds, h-he rejected the deal and said they've already filed a case against you," the secretary stammered out, and Dad's expression turned deadly serious. He stopped eating and fixed a chilling gaze on the secretary.

He chuckled darkly. "Freakin' burn him alive."

"Zeph, take your brother to the room," Mom whispered as I quickly stood up, grabbing Xavi's hand, ready to leave, but Dad's voice sliced through the air.

"Who the heck gave you permission to move, kid?" his sharp and menacing tone made me freeze in place.

He dismissed the secretary and motioned for me to stand in front of him. I glanced at Mom, tears already welling in my eyes. Her lips trembled as she whispered in a low, frightened voice, "I... I told them."

Dad shot her a sharp look. "Did I ask you?" he snapped, and Mom fell silent, shrinking back.

I stood there, feeling like a deer caught in headlights. 

"Do you want me to get up?" his tone was chilling which sent shivers down my spine. I gestured for Xavi to sit down and hesitantly approached him.

"Hmm," he grunted, his eyes fixed on me as he continued to eat.

"How're you making out in school, kid?" 

"G-Good," I stammered, trying to keep my composure.

"I found out something. It's your choice: spill the beans or watch me do it with force," his words sent a chill down my spine.

My eyebrows knitted together in fear, my mind racing with thoughts of what I could have done wrong. 

"I-I didn't do anything," I blurted out nervously.

"Alright, then who's the wise guy spreading rumors that 'daddy beats mommy with a belt every damn night, making her too sick to show up at school events'?" 

My eyes widened.

"And you've been running your mouth to a counselor, huh? Didn't expect that." Dad stopped eating, his grip tightening on the fork and knife.

"A-Adrian, I-I know that Z-Zephyr messed up, but please *sob* don't hold it against him. I-I'll talk to him, I-I'll make him understand. P-Please forgive-" Mom's words rushed out in one breath, but Dad cut her off with a hard slam of his hand on the table, the cutlery rattling.

 Mom gasped as he pointed the knife towards her, his eyes filled with anger, "You think you can just butt in whenever you feel like it? Know your place, you little punk," he sneered.