Chapter 4: Wedding

"Daphne, are you okay?" he asked with a concerned look.

I smiled and nodded, "Yeah."

He chuckled, looking off to the side before meeting my gaze again. "Is this marriage stressing you out? Or are your parents pushing you into it?" 

His tone was supportive and caring. 

What should I say? 

I gulped, shaking my head, "No, it's not like that. It's just... umm, why would you want to marry someone like me? It was the only question in my mind, and Abby— I mean, Abigail—had already asked about how you knew me."

He nodded and took a moment. 

"What's your take on it, on the marriage?"

"I..." I fidgeted, feeling a mix of nerves and uncertainty. 

He's all the things girls talk about – good-looking, nice, and all. But this is marriage, a big step. I never really talked to many boys, nor had a boyfriend.

"From my end, it's a yes," he declared, looking sincere.

"What if things go south, and we end up divorced?"

The question slipped out without me realizing it.

 His response was calm as he shook his head, "Why would I marry someone just to get a divorce? If I'm in, I'm in for real." 

His words brought a smile to my face. I looked at him, and our eyes locked.

There was something dreamy about the way he looked at me.

I smiled and replied, "Yes," looking at him. 

 His face lit up with the brightest smile as he extended his hand towards me, and I placed mine in his. 

"Shall we?" he whispered, and together, we walked downstairs to the living room, instantly drawing everyone's attention.

He declared, "It's a yes from both of us," sparking cheers and smiles from my siblings.

We took our seats, and I caught a supportive smile from Abby.

Zephyr turned his attention back to my parents, "Well, Mr. and Mrs. Hayes, could we perhaps discuss the wedding date today?"

There was a brief exchange of looks between my parents before Dad responded, "Sure, why not?"

Zephyr proposed, "What about next week?" surprising everyone except his brothers.

Mom hesitated, "Isn't that a bit too soon?"

Jane chimed in, "And wait, Daphne still has, like, classes and finals? Isn't it, like, too rushed."

He spoke, "Actually, later this month, I'll be heading back to England due to the upcoming crucial business engagements."

 "Considering Daphne's college schedule, she can continue attending classes even after our wedding. As for the preparations, I thought of keeping it intimate—just close family and a few dear friends."

My parents wore thoughtful expressions as he continued, "It's because my father isn't keeping well, and I wouldn't feel right having an extravagant wedding given the circumstances. So, I propose we keep it small and straightforward."

They nodded in understanding as Dad spoke, "Let's proceed with the wedding next week."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------