Chapter Two:

"The President of the United States," the announcer's voice carried through the large room as 'Hail to the Chief' was played and Jack walked in smiling and waving, with Jackie on his arm beaming just as brightly.

The crowd clapped loudly with an occasional shout as the President and First Lady made their way to the long, decorated table; the Connallys and other VIPs at the Head Table standing and applauding them in greeting.

Once the couple was in front of their seats, Jack next to his and behind his Presidential lectern, the applause died down and Jack signaled that everyone could sit. Jackie moved to sit too, but he glanced back at her and indicated with his head he wanted her to stand with him.

Smiling, she straightened and kept her eyes on him through the entire speech from the moment he began to speak in his strong, encouraging, Boston accent,

"America today is stronger than ever before. Our adversaries have not abandoned their ambitions-our dangers have not diminished-our vigilance cannot be relaxed. But now we have the military, the scientific and the economic strength to do whatever must be done for the preservation and promotion of freedom.

That strength will never be used in pursuit of aggressive ambitions-it will always be used in pursuit of peace. It will never be used to promote provocations-it will always be used to promote the peaceful settlement of disputes.

We in this country, in this generation, are-by destiny rather than choice-the watchmen on the walls of world freedom. We ask, therefore, that we may be worthy of our power and responsibility-that we may exercise our strength with wisdom and restraint-and that we may achieve in our time and for all time the ancient vision of peace on earth, good will toward men. That must always be our goal-and the righteousness of our cause must always underlie our strength. For as was written long ago: 'Except the Lord keep the city, the watchmen waketh but in vain.'

Thank-you."

His speech was short but strong and the crowd up-roared in applause as he flashed them his bright smile before stepping away from the lectern to sit down with Jackie.

There was another brief announcement made before waiters began floating around, filling up wine glasses.

Connally leaned over from the table on the other side of the lectern and said, "Hey, Mr. President! Whatcha gonna do these last couple days and coming month? You gonna do any more campaignin'?"

Jack chuckled as he leaned over to the Governor and replied, "No. After spending the rest of the week at Lyndon's ranch, I'll be wrapping up some things in the White House before Jackie and I bounce around between Hyannis Port and Palm Beach with the kids. Today's the last campaign trip for me this year. I hope it was enough."

"Like I said earlier, Mr. President, you've got this in the bag. I wouldn't be surprised if 90 percent of Texas voted for ya!"