Chapter Forty-Nine:

August 3rd, 1964:

"We've been attacked!" Bobby exclaimed as he burst into the Oval and what had started out as just another day in the office soon turned into a boiling pot of stressful events.

"What do you mean?" Jack questioned, immediately looking up from the document he was going over.

"Vietnam," Bobby answered, seemingly out of breath from practically running over here. "Yesterday our destroyer, Maddox, exchanged shots with North Vietnamese torpedo boats in the Gulf of Tonkin."

"Shit...," Jack muttered before questions began firing out, "Have any ships been sunk? What was the cause of the fight? Who shot first?"

"Apparently the Maddox was on its usual patrol when three, Soviet-built, North Vietnamese PTs came in to chase it away," Bobby explained. "The Maddox then fired "warning shots", as described by our U.S. authorities over there, but the PTs carried on and soon opened fire on our ship with machine-guns and torpedo fire. A nearby aircraft carrier sent off F-8 Crusader jets to help in the scramble. The Maddox managed to badly damage at least one of the PT boats with very little damage to its own ship. Today another one of our destroyers, Turner Joy, was sent to reinforce the Maddox on its patrol."

"Is this all we know?"

"For now," Bobby answered regretfully.

"I'll call in a meeting tomorrow," Jack returned. "Try to find out anymore you can."

August 4th, 1964:

"Again!?" Jack replied in disbelief as he and Bobby stood in the middle of the Oval.

Bobby nodded with the same amount of stress in his eyes as his brother, "Both destroyers reported that they have been ambushed with the enemy firing 22 torpedoes at them."

"Son of a bitch," Jack muttered as he crossed his arms and looked at the floor.